A Career at Baker Botts starts with recruitment to the firm. We have taken internal and external facing action to recruit diverse talent, including:
- Employing a standard and consistent interview and evaluation process across all offices/departments
- Training our lawyers and interviewers to assist them with identifying and recruiting diverse talent
- Expanding our target school outreach to include more minority-serving and HBCU law schools through participation in job fairs, interview programs, and law school affinity group sponsorships
- Doubling the number of scholarships and fellowships we offer to historically underrepresented law student populations. Requirements and deadlines can be viewed on our Diversity Fellowship Program page and our Careers page.
The firm’s DEI efforts also include participation in programs and initiatives that expand the pipeline of diverse students who enter the legal profession.
- Diversity Leaders of the PracticePro Diversity Scholar Program, a coaching, training, and recruiting program designed to help law students secure employment while simultaneously preparing them with the skills, knowledge, confidence, and savvy they need to be successful. Additionally, we are a Founding Circle member of the PracticePro Pre-Law Diversity Scholarship that provides underrepresented students with the resources to navigate the law school admissions process and prepare for fulfilling legal careers.
- We are top performers, Compass Award winners, and have made the Leaders at the Front pledge for Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, an organization dedicated to creating a truly diverse U.S. legal profession.
- We support Street Law, an organization that advances civic and law related education to empower all people to positively transform their world
- Baker Botts is a sponsor of Momentum Education, an educational non-profit focused on helping first-generation, low-income students (FGLI) pursue advanced degrees
- The National Black Pre-Law Conference and Job Fair, targets African American college students interested in attending law school
- The Foundation for Advancement of Diversity in IP Law, supports patent law career preparation and readiness for law students completing their 1L and 2L years