WASHINGTON, D.C., November 10, 2023 – Baker Botts L.L.P., a leading international energy, technology and life sciences law firm, is pleased to announce that it will be presented next week with the sole 2023 “Law Firm Pro Bono Mission Partner” award by The Veterans Consortium, the leading national 501(c)(3) charity providing free legal services to veterans in federal venues.
The award recognizes the firm’s work for veterans who are denied care, benefits, or compensation earned from military service. In the past year alone, Baker Botts provided hundreds of hours as pro bono counsel to veterans, and its regular practice is to donate all attorney fee awards back to The Veterans Consortium. Intellectual Property Partner, Jeff Becker, who leads the firm’s veterans pro bono work, will accept the award on behalf of the firm next week at a reception attended by Medal of Honor recipient, Kyle Carpenter.
“As a core focus of our pro bono practice, Baker Botts is committed to using our legal skills to serve military veterans” said Corporate Partner, Brendan Dignan, who chairs the firm’s Veterans Affinity Group, “BB Vets.” “Our firm has always been, and will continue to be, an advocate for those who swore an oath to protect our nation.”
BB Vets is comprised of over 40 firm lawyers and staff who are military veterans, military spouses or family members, or supporters of its mission. In the past year, the firm has been a leader in championing the interests of military veterans. Some of BB Vets’ and the Firm’s work includes:
- Hosting then-current Sergeant Major of the Army Michael Grinston, the highest-ranking enlisted soldier in the U.S. Army, in our Washington office for the Firm’s annual Memorial Day event. SMA Grinston led a discussion about management and leadership in small teams.
- Since 2016, providing pro bono counsel to the Global War on Terrorism Memorial Foundation, the entity tapped by Congress to build the National Global War on Terrorism Memorial on the National Mall in Washington. In 2023, the Commission of Fine Arts approved the location of the just north of the Lincoln Memorial.
- Serving as long-term counsel to the National Mall Liberty Fund DC, which Congress selected to build a memorial honoring the thousands of enslaved and free African Americans who fought in the Revolutionary War.
- Providing pro bono counsel to the National Veteran Small Business Coalition, the largest non-profit trade association representing veteran- and service-disabled, veteran-owned small business in the Federal marketplace.
- Advising the Operation Red Wings Foundation, a non-profit that provides veterans and their families with a path to healing from their invisible wounds.
- Advising PeopleFund in the formation and operations of the Veteran Loan Fund, an entity that helps community banks provide access to affordable financing and technical assistance to veteran entrepreneurs whose funding needs often go unmet.
- Sponsoring groups of Baker Botts lawyers and staff to lay wreaths at veteran cemeteries adjacent to each of our U.S. offices as part of the Wreaths Across America event. This was a unique opportunity to simultaneously volunteer in a single event despite being in separate locations across the country.
- Co-sponsoring “Veterans ETA” (Entrepreneurship Through Acquisition), a national symposium of veteran buyers and sellers, capital sources, service providers, business schools and supporters of veterans.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm whose lawyers practice throughout a network of offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.