HOUSTON, June 14, 2022 – Baker Botts L.L.P., a leading international energy, technology and life sciences law firm, is pleased to announce that the Legal 500 US 2022 and Chambers USA 2022 have once again recognized the firm’s technology expertise and success advising clients on intellectual property and other technology-related matters.
The firm earned national rankings in the following Legal 500 US technology categories:
- Healthcare: Life Sciences
- Intellectual Property: Patents: Licensing
- Intellectual Property: Patents: Litigation (Full Coverage)
- Intellectual Property: Patents: Litigation (International Trade Commission)
- Intellectual Property: Patents: Prosecution
- Intellectual Property: Trade Secrets
- Intellectual Property: Trademarks
- Healthcare: Life Sciences
- Media, Technology & Telecoms: Technology Transactions.
The Legal 500 US 2022 recognized Lisa Kattan as a “Leading Lawyer” in the Patents: Litigation (International Trade Commission) category and Katherine Burke as a “Next Generation Partner” in the Trade Secrets category.
The Legal 500 US praised Baker Botts’ Intellectual Property department, noting that clients describe the Licensing practice as “unusually adept at creating business-savvy licensing frameworks & agreements;” its ITC practice as boasting “strong knowledge of customs enforcement, showing a particular prowess handling inter partes proceedings;” and its Patent Prosecution practice as “the firm of choice for a notable roster of clients.”
Clients also highlighted Baker Botts’ Life Sciences expertise and strong relevant scientific background, telling the Legal 500 US that the partners “are able to understand the science quickly and provide a patent strategy that suits the client’s needs.”
Meanwhile, in Chambers USA 2022, the firm’s Intellectual Property department again earned a Band 1 ranking in Texas, and was also ranked in the following categories:
- Nationwide: Intellectual Property
- Nationwide: International Trade: Intellectual Property (Section 337)
- California: Intellectual Property – Patent Litigation
- New York: Intellectual Property – Patents
In the technology sector more broadly, the firm is ranked in Nationwide: Life Sciences; New York: Media & Entertainment – Corporate; and Texas: Technology – Corporate & Commercial.
“The firm represents numerous technology and media clients in some of the industry's most important and transformative transactions,” Chambers USA said.
In addition, a number of the firm’s Intellectual Property partners were ranked nationally and at the state level, including:
- Roger Fulghum – Intellectual Property – Texas
- Hopkins Guy III – Intellectual Property: Litigation – California
- Lisa Kattan – Intellectual Property: International Trade (Section 337) – Nationwide
- Doug Kubehl – Intellectual Property – Texas
- Robert Maier – Intellectual Property: Patent – New York
- Kurt Pankratz – Intellectual Property – Texas
- Luke Pedersen – Intellectual Property: Patent Prosecution – Washington, D.C.
- Christa Sanford – Intellectual Property – Texas
- Robert Scheinfeld – Intellectual Property: Patent – New York
- Barton Showalter – Intellectual Property – Nationwide and Texas
- Jennifer Tempesta – Intellectual Property: Patent – New York
“We are very pleased but not surprised by these rankings, which reflect not only the breadth and depth of our Intellectual Property practice but also the excellence that our expansive team brings to highly complex and sophisticated matters across the country for clients in the Technology and Life Sciences industries,” said Robert Scheinfeld, firmwide chair of Baker Botts’ Intellectual Property department.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm whose lawyers practice throughout a network of offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.