HOUSTON, June 13, 2023 – Baker Botts L.L.P., a leading international energy, technology and life sciences law firm, continues to bolster its rankings across the energy industry.
The firm had impressive showings in Chambers USA 2023 and was awarded a Band 1 ranking in its inaugural Energy Transition category, which seeks to recognize firms advising clients on carbon emission reduction projects and transactions and on the development of low-carbon energy sources.
The firm also reinforced its leadership in oil and gas, LNG and conventional and renewable power by maintaining and expanding both its firmwide and individual lawyer rankings in both Chambers USA 2023 and Legal 500.
Regarding its energy transition-related work, Chambers noted that, “The firm has particularly strong capabilities advising on the development and financing of carbon capture and sequestration projects. It has further strength in renewable natural gas and alternative fuels,” adding that, “Baker Botts…draws on its depth of experience in the energy sector to advise developers and investors in the oil and gas space on their energy transition efforts.”
“We are proud to be recognized as the premier legal advisors to clients working to reduce the carbon intensity of their operations and energy production and to help them grow their low-carbon businesses,” said Jason Bennett, Co-Head of the firm’s Energy Sector and Global Projects Department Chair. “Our clients rely on us to help them with a variety of energy transition projects and initiatives spanning hydrogen, carbon capture, renewable fuels, carbon credit trading and offsets, sustainable finance and energy technology.”
The firm obtained Band 1 rankings in five Energy practices:
- Nationwide: Energy Transition
- Nationwide: Oil & Gas Litigation
- Nationwide: Projects: LNG
- Texas: Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation (Oil & Gas)
- Texas: Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation (Electricity)
Six lawyers achieved a Band 1 ranking in Chambers across four Energy categories:
- Josh Davidson – Nationwide: Capital Markets: Debt & Equity
- Elaine Walsh – Nationwide: Energy: Electricity (Transactional)
- William Kroger – Nationwide: Oil & Gas Litigation
- Jason Bennett – Nationwide: Projects: LNG
- David Jetter – Nationwide: Projects: LNG
- James Barkley – Texas: Energy: State & Regulatory Litigation (Electricity); and Texas: Energy: State & Regulatory Litigation (Oil &Gas)
- Andrea Stover – Texas: Energy: State & Regulatory Litigation (Electricity)
In addition, the following lawyers were named “Senior Statespeople”: William Lamb in Nationwide: Energy: Electricity (Transactional); Michael Rosenwasser in Nationwide: Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional); and Steven Miles in Nationwide: Projects and Nationwide: Projects: LNG.
The firm also earned the following Tier 1 practice rankings from Legal 500:
- Energy Litigation: Oil and Gas
- Energy Transactions: Electric Power
- Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas
Four lawyers received the following rankings for the first time:
- Jay Ryan (Leading Lawyer) – Energy Regulation: Electric Power
- Michael Yuffee (Leading Lawyer) – Energy Regulation: Electric Power
- Louis Layrisson (Next Generation Partner) – Energy Litigation: Oil and Gas
- Carlos Marquez (Rising Star) – Energy Transactions: Electric Power
Five lawyers advising on energy matters and transactions were also recognized as “Leading Lawyer” or “Hall of Fame.” They are:
- William Kroger (Hall of Fame) – Energy Litigation: Oil and Gas
- Jason Bennett (Leading Lawyer) – Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas
- Michael Didriksen (Leading Lawyer) – Energy: Renewable/Alternative Power; and Energy Transactions: Electric Power
- Elaine Walsh (Leading Lawyer) – Energy Transactions: Electric Power
- Steven Miles (Hall of Fame) – Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm whose lawyers practice throughout a network of offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.