John Martin is the Partner-in-Charge of the Palo Alto office and the firmwide Technology Sector Chair. John’s 30 years of experience with Baker Botts have concentrated on mergers & acquisitions, capital markets, corporate governance, joint ventures, outsourcing transactions and general corporate matters.
John has extensive experience in representing both purchasers and sellers in complex M&A transactions involving both public and private companies. He also helps clients structure and negotiate joint ventures, strategic alliances and other corporate partnering arrangements.
In the capital markets area, John has represented issuers and underwriters in registered public offerings, including IPOs and offerings by seasoned issuers. John has substantial experience with private equity and venture capital transactions.
John also is a recognized leader in representing parties in complex sourcing and technology transactions, including BPO and ITO transactions.
John regularly counsels both public and privately held clients regarding corporate governance and federal securities law. He also advises clients in transactions involving special board committees formed to deal with interested party or conflict of interest issues.
Selected comments by clients about John, as reported by Chambers and Partners, include:
- “has incredible technology expertise, an authoritative presence and a great ability to deal with senior executives”
- “hands-down one of the best outside counsels I have ever worked with”
- “the person I turn to if I have a difficult question”
- “immensely creative . . . the deal was very difficult to structure and he came forward with the creative ideas that helped us complete it”
- “very clear communicator and maintains focus on the important parts of the deal. . . very good in the give and take of points - he knows the points substantively and is very effective”
- “reputation as a brilliant deal person”
- “innate understanding of his clients’ business makeup”
- “his knowledge is top-flight, but his ability to communicate and guide negotiations is nothing short of amazing”
- “terrific negotiating skills”
- “knack for understanding the business itself and making it primary to the transaction”
- “talent for keeping things focused and putting together deals that really work”
- “strong on technical issues and he keeps sight of the bigger picture when negotiating - people listen to him”
- “the rigor and experience he and his team bring to bear in analyzing transactions is invaluable”
- “firm but collaborative style and understands the dynamics of a transaction”
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “The General Counsel’s Role in M&A,” Argyle Chief Legal Officer Leadership Forum (San Francisco), panel moderator, 2014
- “Funding Innovation for the Longer Term,” Triple Helix Corporate Venturing Conference (Half Moon Bay, California), panel moderator, 2014
- “M&A Update: Current Trends, Recent Developments, and Hot Topics,” Argyle Chief Legal Officer Leadership Forum (San Francisco), 2013
- “Overview of Technology M&A Market,” Flight to Freedom: Summit for Entrepreneurs, Inventors and Philanthropists (Livermore, California), 2013
- “Best Practices for the General Counsel: How to Use M&A to Expand and Protect,” Argyle Chief Legal Officer Leadership Forum, (Dallas), panel presentation, 2012
- “M&A in the Technology Sector: Key Issues and Special Considerations,” The University of Texas School of Law’s Annual Technology Law Conference, (Austin), 2011
- “The Evolving Public Company M&A Market,” presented at Bowne’s Securities and Corporation Law Update, (Dallas), 2009
- “M&A for Technology Targets,” presented at CLE seminars, 2008 and 2009