John Martin is the firmwide Partner-in-Charge of Recruiting, the Partner-in-Charge of the Palo Alto office and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. Mr. Martin has over 30 years of experience with Baker Botts representing clients in mergers & acquisitions, corporate governance, capital markets and complex technology transactions. He represents both purchasers and sellers in public company and private M&A transactions, including cross-border transactions, business carve-outs and divestitures, recapitalizations, corporate reorganizations, spin-offs, joint ventures and strategic alliances. Mr. Martin also has substantial private equity and venture capital experience.
Mr. Martin advises on corporate governance matters (including representation of boards, audit committees and special committees), securities compliance and disclosure issues, and defensive measures. In the capital markets area, Mr. Martin has represented issuers and underwriters in registered public offerings, including IPOs and offerings by seasoned issuers.
Mr. Martin is also a recognized leader in representing parties in complex technology and outsourcing transactions, including BPO and ITO transactions.
Selected comments by clients about Mr. Martin, as reported by Chambers & Partners, include:
- “has incredible technology expertise, an authoritative presence and a great ability to deal with senior executives”
- “hands-down one of the best outside counsels I have ever worked with”
- “the person I turn to if I have a difficult question”
- “immensely creative . . . the deal was very difficult to structure and he came forward with the creative ideas that helped us complete it”
- “very clear communicator and maintains focus on the important parts of the deal. . . very good in the give and take of points - he knows the points substantively and is very effective”
- “reputation as a brilliant deal person”
- “innate understanding of his clients’ business makeup”
- “his knowledge is top-flight, but his ability to communicate and guide negotiations is nothing short of amazing”
- “terrific negotiating skills”
- “knack for understanding the business itself and making it primary to the transaction”
- “talent for keeping things focused and putting together deals that really work”
- “strong on technical issues and he keeps sight of the bigger picture when negotiating - people listen to him”
- “the rigor and experience he and his team bring to bear in analyzing transactions is invaluable”
- “firm but collaborative style and understands the dynamics of a transaction”