Tim Durst is a trial lawyer. He is the partner in charge of the Dallas office of Baker Botts and has served as chair of the Dallas Trial Department. His practice focuses on complex business, intellectual property and energy litigation.
Mr. Durst has represented defendants and plaintiffs in a variety of industries, including significant work with energy, technology, banking, retail and health care concerns.He has tried cases in state and federal courts and before arbitration panels, and has defended clients in disputed matters before governmental authorities.
Mr. Durst's business litigation cases have involved a range of issues, such as fraud claims, contract matters, shareholder and securities suits, internal corporate and governmental investigations, environmental claims, qui tam assertions, and professional liability.
Mr. Durst has substantial experience in patent and trade secret litigation, including patent infringement lawsuits, claims relating to misappropriation of trade secrets, and patent misuse and patent-related antitrust claims. He has represented telecom, oil and gas, internet, software, consumer goods, medical device, e-commerce, food and beverage, professional service and manufacturing companies and firms in technology and intellectual property disputes.
Mr. Durst's energy litigation experience includes international and domestic disputes involving exploration, production, processing and marketing of natural gas and oil. The clients that have engaged him range from the majors to large and small independents.
Mr. Durst is active in community and professional groups, including having served as chair of the national board of directors of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. He has received many accolades for his professional and community service accomplishments.
Areas of Experience:
- Complex commercial litigation-variety of contract and tort matters, including, for example, disputes related to corporate governance, licensing, failed business deals, fraud, convertible indentures, private equity investments, regulatory enforcement, environmental damages, and construction projects
- Patent owners and alleged infringers-prosecution and defense of patent infringement claims, including for clients in the internet, telecom, software, medical device, commodities trading, e-commerce, food and beverage and consumer goods industries (including Multi-District Litigation proceedings); defense of claims brought by patent holding and non-practicing entities
- Energy litigation-international and domestic disputes related to exploration and production, investments, production sharing contracts, joint ventures, LNG facilities and other contracts and plant issues; he has represented clients with respect to disputes involving assets in the U.S., Africa, Asia and Central and South America
- Trade secret litigation-assertion and defense of misappropriation claims and injunction proceedings in a variety of industries and contexts (including theft of secrets in China and cases involving movement of employees and non-compete agreements)
- Environmental claims - defense of clean-up cost recovery actions and MTBE litigation; analysis of climate change tort suits
- Publicly traded companies- change of control litigation, hedge fund litigation, class action securities litigation, shareholder derivative litigation, state securities law claims and internal and government investigations
- Professional liability defense-representation of two major law firms in defense of claims arising from their handling of patent litigation