Van Beckwith is a first chair trial attorney with almost 25 years’ experience trying all types of cases and arbitration across the nation. Mr. Beckwith serves on the Firm’s Executive Committee and as the Firm’s Partner in Charge of Recruiting.
Chambers USA has described Mr. Beckwith as an “excellent trial lawyer” and consistently recognized him as one of the top food and beverage class action lawyers in the country. Chambers USA has noted that our clients valued Van’s “not only cooperative, but also creative” approach and ability to “act with urgency or forcefully to advocate his clients’ position without being unprofessional.” His national trial practice has included specific work in defense of complex class actions, energy litigation, antitrust price fixing and tying litigation, environmental litigation, technology and intellectual property litigation, and food and beverage litigation. He is known for his work in defense of class actions across the United States and Canada.
His most recent trial and arbitration work includes:
- Successfully defending a claim for over $1.5 billion against one of the World’s largest corporations accused of trade secret misappropriation and tortious interference in a hostile forum. The American Lawyer chose it for Litigator of the Week honors.
- Successfully defending a bet-the-company effort by a founder and chief executive officer to regain control of a Delaware corporation, which included defense wins at the Delaware Chancery Court and after oral argument at the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Successfully prosecuting a plaintiff verdict and securing a related defense verdict involving allegations of breach of contract in performance of a systems and software outsourcing agreement for one of the leading and largest consulting companies.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “Defendant Overview,” Getting the Deal Through: Private Antitrust Litigation, 2015
- Class Action Defense -- “Litigating Food and Beverage Labeling Cases: Some Strategies and Trends,” Food and Drug Litigation Strategies, 2013
- “Welcome to the Partner-Dome: Now Get to Work,” Texas Lawyer, January 2000
Speeches and Presentations
- “Recent Developments in Oil & Gas and Energy Litigation Nuisance Law,” Association presentation, August 2014
- “Big Law: Making the Interview Cut,” presented to national conference of law students, August 2013 and 2014
- “Defensibly Downsizing Your Data: Minimize Risks, Reduce Costs & Meet Obligations,” Association of Corporate Counsel, August 21, 2014
- Class Action Defense -- “Food Labeling Litigation Workshop,” American Conference Institute, September 30, 2013
- “Defense Strategies in Response to the Rapidly Expanding Reach of Regulation,” Chief Legal Officer Forum, February 2013
- Class Action Defense -- “Hot Topics in Food Litigation and Enforcement,” American Conference Institute FDA & USDA Compliance Boot Camp, October 2012
- Class Action Defense -- “Ensuring the Success of Your Green Marketing Campaign: How to Structure Compliant Environmentally-Friendly, Natural and Organic Product Claims,” American Conference Institute, Food & Beverage Marketing & Advertising Conference, March 2011
- “Top Ten Things to Know about Class Actions,” Internal Accredited CLE, January 2011
- “How to be a Rock Star Associate,” CLE presentation to Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Dallas, December 2010
- “Ready for My Close-Up: -- Ethical Considerations for Lawyers in High-Profile Crisis Representations,” presented to in-house client seminars, Dallas 2010 and Chicago 2009
- Frequent speaker at client and internal speeches and presentation on various continuing legal education topics and law firm values, culture, and commitment to excellence, and legal recruiting and hiring topics
- “Consumer Privacy Issues,” Advanced Consumer & Commercial Law Course, Dallas, November 2008
- “Settlement of Class Actions 101: An Overview of Issues Involved in Mediating and Negotiating Settlement of Class Actions,” Institute for Mass and Class Action and Dispute Resolution, 9th Annual Spring Conference, American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution, Washington, D.C., April 2007
- “Document Retention and Electronic Discovery -- Do’s and Don’ts,” In-house client seminar, 2004, London, England
- “Summary Judgment Practice and Procedure,” Federal Bar Association, Dallas, March 2001
- “Summary Judgment Practice,” Federal Bar Association, Dallas, March 2000
- “Finding the Winning Litigation Strategy,” American Corporate Counsel Association, Dallas, November 1999