Van Beckwith is the firmwide Chair of the firm's Litigation Department, a member of its Executive Committee, and a first-chair trial attorney with more than 25 years of experience trying some of the largest and most complex cases and arbitrations across the nation. Mr. Beckwith is a member of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
His national jury trial and arbitration practice has included specific work in defense of energy, antitrust price fixing and tying, competitor vs. competitor, technology and trade secrets, environmental, complex class actions, and food and beverage litigation.
His most recent trial and arbitration work includes:
- Defending a jury trial for $1.4 billion in actual plus punitive damages against one of the World’s largest corporations accused of trade secret misappropriation and tortious interference in a hostile forum. The American Lawyer chose it for "Litigator of the Week" and "Big Deals/Big Suits" honors and the case was also profiled in Forbes and Bloomberg.
- Defending a bet-the-company effort by a founder and chief executive officer to regain control of a Delaware corporation, which included defense at trial in the Delaware Chancery Court and after oral argument at the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Defending a major exploration and production energy company against claims for allegedly lost royalties and bonus payments arising from an alleged aiding and abetting of breaches of fiduciary duty. The case was dismissed by the district court and after oral argument at the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defending class actions brought against various consumer products and other company including one of America’s best known and enjoyed consumer products.
- Prosecuting a plaintiff verdict and receiving a related defense verdict involving allegations of breach of contract in performance of a systems and software outsourcing agreement for one of the leading and largest consulting companies.