Van Beckwith is a first-chair trial attorney with more than 25 years of experience trying some of the largest and most complex cases and arbitrations across the nation. Mr. Beckwith leads the firm’s Class Actions practice, and serves on the firm’s Executive Committee and as the firm’s Partner in Charge of recruiting initiatives.
His national jury trial and arbitration practice has included specific work in defense of energy, antitrust price fixing and tying, competitor vs competitor, technology and trade secrets, environmental, complex class actions, and food and beverage litigation. He is known for his work in defense of major lawsuits and class actions across the United States and Canada. Mr. Beckwith is a member of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
His most recent trial and arbitration work includes:
- Defending a jury trial for over $1.4 billion in actual plus punitive damages against one of the World’s largest corporations accused of trade secret misappropriation and tortious interference in a hostile forum. The American Lawyer chose it for Litigator of the Week and Big Deals/Big Suits honors and the case was profiled in Forbes and Bloomberg.
- Defending a bet-the-company effort by a founder and chief executive officer to regain control of a Delaware corporation, which included defense wins at trial in the Delaware Chancery Court and after oral argument at the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Defending a major exploration and production energy company against claims for allegedly hundreds of millions in lost royalties and bonus payments arising from an alleged aiding and abetting of breaches of fiduciary duty. The case was dismissed by the district court and after oral argument at the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Prosecuting misappropriation of trademark and trade secrets claims against a distributor of one of America’s best known and enjoyed consumer products.
- Defending against claims that a multi-billion dollar complex Medicaid software system failed to pay providers. The case was dismissed by the district court and is on appeal.
- Prosecuting a plaintiff verdict and securing a related defense verdict involving allegations of breach of contract in performance of a systems and software outsourcing agreement for one of the leading and largest consulting companies.