Nick Brown has lead complex, high-stakes cases from start to finish in the technology, energy, manufacturing and distribution industries. Named a Super Lawyers 2021 Texas Rising Star, Mr. Brown is a former Fifth Circuit clerk, law school class valedictorian, and intern for three federal judges. He has handled all magnitude of disputes involving enforcement and defense of trade secrets, and other intellectual property, M&A litigation and post-closing arbitration, insurance and indemnity disputes, breach of contract and fraud matters, and other commercial and intellectual property cases.
Mr. Brown spent his first five years in private practice at a litigation boutique where he first and second chaired cases in Texas state court and federal court, from inception to trial to post-judgment proceedings and appeal. Mr. Brown has also defended his clients through final hearing in arbitration proceedings before the American Arbitration Association, the International Institute for Conflict Prevention, and JAMS.
His representative experience includes:
(1) Harris County jury trial arising out of a contract and fraud dispute over printed circuit boards;
(2) Defending one of the largest distributors of propane in two separate arbitration proceedings;
(3) Taking more than thirty depositions of fact and expert witnesses in a wide variety of civil matters, and defending many more;
(4) Briefing and arguing more than two dozen dispositive motions in commercial and intellectual property cases in state court, federal court, and arbitration; and
(5) Serving as lead appellate strategist and briefing attorney in more than half a dozen appeals.
He is published in the areas of trade secret theft, civil procedure, arbitration, and First Amendment issues. Mr. Brown maintains an active pro bono practice that focuses on assisting victims of scams after natural disasters.
Mr. Brown's technology background dates back to his time at Vanderbilt University, where he took a significant number of science, engineering, and programming classes. Before completing law school, Mr. Brown interned for NASA, the University of Texas Health Science Center, and Texas Instruments.
Mr. Brown is a two-time American Debate Association National Champion and former team captain of the Vanderbilt University Debate Team. He remains involved in the debate community through the Houston Urban Debate League Young Professionals Committee.