Under a Biden Administration, companies should expect a new emphasis on environmental enforcement:
- New leaders at EPA and DOJ charting a new direction on enforcement
- New support of agency budgets for more inspections and enforcement activities
- Renewed attention on the energy and industrial sectors
- Expanding Environmental Justice programs and initiatives
- More frequent government information requests for facility compliance data and records
- And a potential increase in citizen suits under the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and other statutes
Our team has deep experience advising on all aspects of enforcement across all environmental laws and regulations including:
- Former DOJ environmental prosecutors and officials who worked on the front lines - including a former Acting Assistant AG of the DOJ Environment & Natural Resources Division
- A former Chief of Staff for the DOJ Environment Division & Associate Deputy Attorney General
- A former Chief of the DOJ Environmental Crimes Section
The EPA reports a steady decline in the number of facility inspections over the last decade and a drop in civil and criminal enforcement cases. New trends may emerge with more enforcement cases of greater complexity and impacts.
Corporate environmental compliance has never been more important.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm of more than 700 lawyers practicing throughout a network of 13 offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology, and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.