Baker Botts is delighted to participate in a SubOptic Spotlight webinar on Wednesday 6 May - discussing the legal and regulatory challenges being faced by the subsea telecommunications industry during COVID-19.
Topics discussed will include:
- Essential business and essential worker status, port and maritime zone access, travel and crew changes, protection of personnel and port staff health, and expedited permitting for repairs and new builds.
- Assessment of what have governments done well, and what remains to be done.
- Messaging about the importance of submarine cables during—and following—the pandemic, and the ICPC Call to Action.
- Key contracts for system supply, capacity sale, colocation and hosting, O&M, marine and terrestrial maintenance, and survey, which may or may not clearly address what happens to with performance and payment during a pandemic, or who should bear the risk.
- Interpretation of key terms regarding force majeure, material adverse effect, other remedies and grounds for relief, and insolvency.
Stuart Blythe, Partner, Baker Botts
Catherine Creese, Director, Naval Seafloor Cable Protection Office
Andrew Boyce, Assistant Director, Telecoms Security (Subsea Cables), Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (UK Government)
Shaimaa Sebak, Senior Counsel, Corporate Legal and Compliance, Etisalat Misr (Egypt)
Guest Moderator: Kent Bressie, Partner, Harris, Wiltshire & Grannis LLP and Legal Advisor to the International Cable Protection Committee.
To register for the webinar please click here.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm of approximately 700 lawyers practicing throughout a network of 13 offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology, and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.