Baker Botts hosted a webinar on M&A, Merger Control and COVID-19 on Wednesday 10 June at 3pm BST.
The global Covid-19 pandemic is testing legal institutions and the rule of law in ways never seen before. In this webinar, Baker Botts lawyers will discuss the critical issues raised by the current crisis for those involved in transactions.
Part 1: Signed Deals
I. Is the merger control process slowing down transaction timetables?
- A more “activist” CMA
- COVID-19 and merger procedures
II. What could buyers and sellers do if they are unable to satisfy conditions to completion within the timeline specified?
- Extending time limits, re-negotiation and termination
- Complexities in a prolonged period between exchange and completion
Part 2: New Deals and Looking to the Future
I. New opportunities in a challenging environment
II. Distressed M&A
- How to choose between an asset or share sale
- Fast-tracked due diligence: Cost benefit versus risk analysis
- Limited warranties and indemnities
III. Antitrust and merger clearance
- Deal structure and potentially avoiding merger control obligations
- The failing firm defence: a realistic strategy?
- Key learnings from recent CMA decisions and judgments
- David Cardwell, Counsel, Baker Botts
- Inaya Homoud, Associate, Baker Botts
- Derek Jones, Partner, Baker Botts
- Dina Jubrail, Associate, Baker Botts
To view a recording of the webinar please click here.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm of approximately 700 lawyers practicing throughout a network of 13 offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the technology, energy, and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.