Danny Worrell helps companies with environmental permits, compliance with environmental laws and in environmental cases and investigations. Many of his clients are manufacturers, but he has counseled a wide variety of companies facing environmental issues, working with them on project development and in many other ways to minimize their environmental liability.
Before practicing law, Danny worked as a geologist for ARCO Oil and Gas. As a result, he has greater technical understanding of environmental issues. More importantly, he has an appreciation for the importance of finishing projects on time, and approaches issues with an eye toward the company's bottom line and business goals.
Environmental matters are often complicated; Danny brings a meticulous, detailed approach to them. He is often able to devise creative courses of action in situations that do not appear to have good options.
He is familiar with, and uses, many different legal strategies for limiting a company's environmental liability exposure. Danny's counsel runs the gamut, from helping companies before problems arise (obtaining permits and creating compliance programs) to representing them once they do (defending companies in large multi-party lawsuits and proceedings before regulatory agencies). He is also very experienced in representing companies in highly contested permitting and enforcement proceedings.
- Lead attorney in contested case hearing on air permit authorization for a concrete batch plant.
- Lead attorney in administrative contested case hearing and appeals before Travis County District Court and Texas Eleventh Court of Appeals. Granted Texas Clean Air Act preconstruction permit for 800 megawatt coal-fired electric generating facility with CO2 capture unit.
- Represented major chemical company in settling federal Superfund litigation involving former barge-cleaning facility.
- Lead attorney in contested case hearing on a municipal wastewater discharge permit proceeding. Settled prior to the hearing on the merits.
- Assisted client with first Regulatory Flexibility Order from the TCEQ for use of the EPA Comparable Fuels Rule allowing substitution of fuels at chemical manufacturing facility.
- Lead attorney in an administrative contested case hearing and district court appeal. Granted renewal and new Class 1 hazardous waste injection well permits from the TCEQ.
- Assisted client with product liability litigation relating to oil well cementing operations.
- Represented client in negotiation of administrative proceedings, involving contested case hearing, on application for renewal and major modification of Commercial Hazardous Waste Treatment, Storage and Disposal Facility permit.
- Represented clients in state Superfund cases involving former scrap metal recycling facility, former toll chemical manufacturing facility and former electrical equipment refurbishing facility.
- Represented client in administrative contested case hearing involving amendment to production area authorization for in situ uranium mining permit before Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
- Represented clients with claims associated with federal Superfund litigation cases involving former tin smelter and former industrial waste disposal facility.
- Lead attorney in contested case hearing on application to obtain Municipal Solid Waste Type I landfill permit from the TCEQ.
- Lead attorney in administrative contested case hearing and district court appeal. Granted a Texas Pollution Discharge Elimination System permit for municipal wastewater discharge.
- Represented clients in Single Property Designations from the TCEQ for air quality regulatory purposes.
- Represented client in administrative contested case, district court and appeals court proceedings involving major modifications to Class 1 non-hazardous injection well permits from the TCEQ.
Awards & Community
Listed in Chambers USA, 2005-2011, 2014-2020
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2017-2019
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters), 2018 & 2019
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.), 2006-2020
Global Legal Post, The