Margaret (Maggie) Welsh is an experienced patent attorney and helps companies solve complex technology issues. Drawing from her 10+ years of patent litigation, technology transactions, and patent prosecution, Maggie is able to quickly understand underlying issues and provide thoughtful and thorough advocacy for her clients. Whether she is litigating a patent or reviewing technology transaction agreements, Maggie sees the landscape of potential risks and provides her clients with tactics to address them.
Maggie understands her clients. Her background includes consulting with companies on strategic and technical improvements for their products. With an engineering background and industry knowledge, Maggie immerses herself in emerging technologies such as robotics, clean technology, batteries, energy, electronics, semiconductors, and biomedical devices.
Clients appreciate Maggie’s understanding of their businesses as she stays current on industry and legal developments. Maggie’s leadership roles in the IP community include serving as co-chair of the Publications Committee for NYIPLA (New York Intellectual Property Law Association) and participating as a long-term member of IPO (Intellectual Property Owners Association).
- In the Matter of Certain Chemical Mechanical Planarization Slurries and Components Thereof (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1204) – Representation of CMC Materials in patent infringement investigation involving CMP slurries
- AGIS Software Development LLC v. Samsung Electronics, Ltd and Samsung Electronics America, Inc. (U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas) – Representation of Samsung in a patent infringement action involving location sharing
- Cypress Lake Software, Inc. v. Samsung Electronics., Ltd. (U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas) – Representation of Samsung in a patent infringement action involving smartphones and tablets
- Ameranth, Inc. v. Grubhub, Inc. (U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California) – Representation of Grubhub in a patent infringement action involving internet-based ordering systems
- In the Matter of Certain Magnetic Data Storage Tapes and Cartridges Containing the Same (II) (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1076) – Representation of Fujifilm in ITC Investigation filed by Fujifilm related to magnetic tape data storage technologies
- In the Matter of Certain Magnetic Tape Cartridges and Components Thereof (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1036) – Representation of Fujifilm in ITC Investigation filed by Sony related to magnetic tape data storage technologies
Patent Trial And Appeal Board
- Inter Partes Reviews of U.S. Patent Nos. 7,563,267, 8,057,493, 7,736,388, 6,461,366, 7,288,097 – Represented patent owner in IPRs related to cardiac devices where institution was denied
- Inter Partes Review of U.S. Patent No. 6,345,779 – Represented petitioner in IPR related to data storage where an adverse inference against the patent was entered
- Representation of a medical device company in due diligence, licensing, and product clearance matters
- Representation of a medical device company as an intellectual property attorney during its purchase of a German robotics company
- Representation of a university in a biotech patent license negotiation
- Representation of a consumer product packing company in forming a joint venture to settle a patent dispute
- Representation of large technology companies in the development and management of their patent portfolios
The Impact of the U.S.-China Trade Agreement and Hong Kong National Security Law on Corporate Intellectual Property (IP) and TechnologySpeeches & Presentations
U.S. - China Trade Agreement and Hong Kong National Security Law on Corporate IPWebinar
IP Strategy Workshop
IP Litigator, Volume 24, Number 4
Intellectual Property Report
PTAB Trials Blog
Landslide, Vol. 9 No.3