"Her strong suit is being practical and pragmatic, identifying the big issues and coming up with solutions that aren't necessarily obvious."
Chambers Global 2016
Elaine counsels clients regarding energy company mergers, energy asset acquisitions, divestitures and investments, as well as, the development of electric generation and fuel transportation and storage projects. She advises independent power producer, renewable energy, oil and gas companies, utility, coal company and power marketer clients in electricity and fuel trading and marketing activities. She negotiates physical and financial power, fuel, cross-commodity and retail supply contracts.
Elaine was also recognized by Chambers Global 2015, which noted that “She's very industry-savvy, her manner is excellent, and she delivers exactly what we need and when we need it, including at very inconvenient times,” and is “esteemed for her M&A and regulatory work.”
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private equity fund’s purchase of 31 hydroelectric projects in the U.S.
- Private equity fund’s investment in brownfield energy terminal with 485 MW on-site generation and data center campus
- NRG’s acquisition of Stream Energy, a national electric and gas retailer
- NRG's acquisition of 2.1 GW of solar and wind utility scale and distributed generation portfolios from SunEdison
- NRG’s sale of its Canal 3 gas-fired generation project to Stonepeak
- NRG’s $2.6 billion acquisition of Edison Mission Energy in bankruptcy
- Independent power producer in asset swap for Mid-Set, Salina River, Sargent Canyon, Sunrise, and Sycamore cogeneration projects
- Consolidated Edison Solutions' sale of its competitive retail business to Exelon
- Crius Energy’s purchase of USG&E, a national energy retailer
- An institutional investor's acquisition of an interest in the West Deptford power project
- NRG's acquisition of the 550 MW Gregory Power cogeneration facility in Corpus Christi, Texas
- Crius Energy’s purchase of TriEagle Energy, a national energy retailer
- An institutional investor's participation in the acquisition of the Polaris Generation portfolio from Energy Investors Funds
- NRG's $1.5 billion acquisition and financing of Reliant Energy
- Constellation's $7.9 billion merger with Exelon
- National Grid's sale of its shale gas business to PDC Mountaineer
- NRG's acquisition of Energy Plus Holdings, a national energy retailer
- BP's divestitures of several midstream assets
- Madison Dearborn's $975 million acquisition and financing of Astoria Generating
- NRG's acquisition of Green Mountain Energy, a national green energy retailer
- Madison Dearborn's investment in First Wind
- NRG's sale of its Padoma Wind portfolio to Enel North America
- Macquarie's selldown of its district energy business to John Hancock
- DTE's acquisition and conversion to biomass of the Stoneman generating facility
- Constellation's acquisition of AES NewEnergy
- NRG's purchase of Dominion's retail electric business
Development & Trading
- Structured JVs for the development of biomass, solar and wind generation facilities
- Counseled client on development of 1,600 MW coal-fired generation facility
- Counseled client on the development of a start-up retail energy marketer
- Regularly negotiate electricity, capacity, natural gas, crude, fuel oil, propane, coal, petroleum coke, transportation, steam, renewable energy credit and emissions allowance and offset agreements
- Negotiated $25 million swap based on availability of nuclear generating facility
- Negotiated secured swaps to complete financing of $1.7 billion acquisition of power plant portfolio
- Advise wholesale and retail clients on default service auctions, credit sleeves and retail supply agreements
- Represent developers in interconnection, O&M agreements, transition services agreements, shared facilities agreements, precedent agreements, EPC and energy management arrangements
Awards & Community
Recognized as a Washington D.C. Super Lawyer, 2013-2018
Recognized in Chambers Global, 2013-2018
Recognized in Chambers USA, 2009-2019
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013
Transatlantic Elite, 2011 Star Partner
International Trade Update
Energy Regulatory Update
Baker Botts is proud to be a sponsor of the Kayo Women's Power and Utility Summit on June 23 & 24 in Philadelphia.
For the third consecutive year, Baker Botts and the Center for Energy Studies at Rice University’s Baker Institute are co-hosting their annual energy summit. The event will provide a forum for key market players and decision-makers to gather insights into the future of the dynamic energy industry, ranging from oil and gas to electricity, renewables and technology.
Baker Botts is a proud supporter of the 2019 Kayo Conference Power & Infrastructure Summit in Houston on April 17 & 18.
Baker Botts is proud to be a sponsor of the 2019 34th Annual S&P Global Power Markets Conference that will be held April 8-10 in Las Vegas.