Julie B. Rubenstein practices complex commercial litigation with experience taking high-stakes civil cases to trial. Ms. Rubenstein has represented clients in cases involving securities fraud, antitrust, products liability, intellectual property, defamation, and breach of contract. She has represented both individual and corporate clients in federal and state courts and before government agencies. Ms. Rubenstein is also committed to serving the community and has represented multiple clients on a pro bono basis. In addition to her experience at Baker Botts, Ms. Rubenstein spent several years practicing at a specialized trial boutique in Washington, D.C..
- Collegiate athletic association – Ms. Rubenstein was a member of the trial team that was granted a defense jury verdict in state court in Los Angeles in a case involving claims of defamation, negligence, and breach of contract. After the jury verdict, trial judge Frederick Shaller called the advocacy in the case “the best I’ve seen since I’ve been a judge.”(Cal. Super. Ct.)
- Major social media company – Ms. Rubenstein was a member of the trial team on behalf of a major social media company, a subsidiary, and several individual defendants in a federal jury trial in Dallas, Texas. Plaintiffs sought $6 billion in damages based on alleged use of their intellectual property. The jury returned a defense verdict for the Company and a partial defense verdict for the remaining defendants. In post-trial briefing, Ms. Rubenstein helped persuade the court to sanction plaintiffs for withholding evidence, which resulted in plaintiffs being denied $40 million in attorneys’ fees. (N.D. Tex).
- Major agricultural company – Ms. Rubenstein was a member of several trial teams in California federal and state court defending against products liability claims in nationwide litigation.
- Major automotive manufacturer - Ms. Rubenstein was a member of the litigation team that defended against two federal antitrust class actions alleging a scheme to fix prices and monopolize the market for heavy-duty truck transmissions (D. Del.)
- Major media company - Ms. Rubenstein was a member of the trial team that was granted a €765 million jury verdict in a breach of warranty and Rule 10b-5 securities fraud case against Vivendi, S.A. and Universal Studios, Inc. (S.D.N.Y.)
- Major telecommunications company - Ms. Rubenstein was a member of the trial team in a patent infringement suit relating to mobile phone technology (E.D. Tex.)
- Monitor of major hotel chains – Ms. Rubenstein was a member of the litigation team representing the independent monitor in a case involving trade secrets claims (S.D.N.Y.)
Awards & Community
Recognized as a Washington D.C. Super Lawyer-Rising Star, 2014-2020