Paul Ragusa is a partner in the Intellectual Property section of the firm's New York office. His practice encompasses high technology and Hatch-Waxman patent litigation, inter-partes reviews, IP portfolio management, counseling and licensing.
His diverse technical experience spans audiovisual compression and transmission, semiconductor device fabrication, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, software applications, techniques for delivering pharmaceutical products and medical devices. He was part of the team that drafted the patent licensing agreements directed to the MPEG-2 digital video compression standard, and continues to focus on Standard Setting Organization (SSOs) and licensing of standard-essential patents (SEPs), including 5G, 802.11, ARIB, ATSC, AV1, AVC, Blu-ray, CRISPR, DASH, DisplayPort, IETF, HEVC, LTE, MVC and UHDTV.
Mr. Ragusa was named a New York Metro Super Lawyer and listed in IP Stars by Managing Intellectual Property for 2013-2020. He was recommended in The Legal 500 U.S. guide for 2011-2015 & 2017-2020, in the latest edition for both licensing and prosecution (including post-grant proceedings), which wrote that he is "easy to work with" and has “a no nonsense approach.” He was also recommended in the 2013-2020 editions of the Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 most recently for each of patent litigation, prosecution and transactions. According to IAM, Paul is a "protean professional" and his "versatility manifests itself in his university work...acting for pharmaceutical companies and building on his expert knowledge of SEPs and antitrust law."
He is the Chair of the American Intellectual Property Law Association's Standards and Open Source Committee and Secretary of the Intellectual Property Owners' (IPO) Standards Setting Committee, and serves on the Advisory Board at IP Litigator, using those positions to address the practical implications of important changes to the law.
- Columbia University - development, management, licensing and litigation of a worldwide patent portfolio directed to a wide range of technologies, including audiovisual compression, medical devices, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, bioinformatics, virtual reality, batteries, and materials science, counseling concerning standard essential patents ("SEPs") and related licensing and litigation
- Vidyo, Inc. - complete range of intellectual property representation, including patent litigation, conducting due diligence investigations, counseling regarding Standard Setting Organizations (SSOs), counseling on open source issues, and prosecution of a worldwide patent portfolio directed to audiovisual compression and transmission
- Pharmacosmos A/S - IPRs, litigation and related counseling for patents related to parenteral iron therapy
- Guangdong Mic-Power New Energy Co., Ltd., PEAG, LLC, D/B/A JLab Audio, and Audio Partnership PLC D/B/A Cambridge Audio - patent litigation and related counseling for patents related to button cell batteries
- Investor, USA - Hatch-Waxman Litigation and related counseling for patents directed to techniques for treating cancer
- Ethypharm, S.A. - Hatch-Waxman litigation, licensing and counseling for patents related to methods of delivering pharmaceutical products
- Pharmaceutical Company, Europe - IPRs and related counseling for patents directed to methods of treating nutrient deficiency conditions
- The AES Corporation - Licensing and counseling regarding patents and know-how related to energy storage management
- ECI Technologies, Inc. - development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio directed to semiconductor processing equipment and techniques, and related opinions, dispute resolution and licensing
- Plasma Physics, Inc. - patent licensing and litigation, including trial of a patent infringement action resulting in a significant damages award for patents directed to plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition
- The University of Pennsylvania - development, management and licensing of a worldwide patent portfolio directed to life sciences technologies, including medical devices, diagnostic methods, pharmaceutical compositions and bioinformatics, and related counseling and opinions
- The University of Pittsburgh - development of a worldwide patent portfolio directed to life sciences technologies, counseling regarding inventorship and patent ownership disputes and Bayh-Dole compliance
- Allied Bolt, Inc. - complete range of intellectual property representation, including dispute resolution, conducting due diligence investigations, and development of a patent portfolio directed to fasteners
Awards & Community
Recognized as a New York Metro Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters), 2013-2020
Recognized in IP Stars by Managing Intellectual Property, 2013-2020
Recommended by The Legal 500 U.S., 2011-2015 & 2017-2020
Recommended in the Intellectual Asset Management Magazine for patent litigation and transactions, 2013-2020
Intellectual Property Update
Intellectual Property Report
American Intellectual Property Law Association, Standards and Open Source Committee Newsletter
Financier Worldwide Magazine
Intellectual Property Update
Baker Botts is proud to sponsor the IP Counsel Cafe New York dinner on November 14th, 2019.
Baker Botts is proud to participate in AIPLA's Mid-Winter Institute as sponsors of the opening night reception on January 30th and the Diversity Fun Run.
Baker Botts is proud to sponsor the IP Counsel Cafe New York Corporate Counsel dinner on November 8th, 2018.