Global Competition Review
Jeffrey Oliver is a Partner in the firm's Antitrust and Competition Practice. Mr. Oliver advises clients on all aspects of antitrust law, with an emphasis on U.S. and international merger reviews. Mr. Oliver has obtained antitrust clearance for transactions in a wide variety of industries and jurisdictions, with significant experience in oil and gas, healthcare, heavy industry, utilities, chemicals, media, transportation and trade associations. His practice routinely involves substantive advocacy in the U.S., China, Germany, Austria, Australia, before the E.C. and in other jurisdictions.
Prior to joining Baker Botts, Mr. Oliver was a Staff Attorney at the Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Competition. There, Mr. Oliver’s practice focused on merger and conduct investigations in the oil and gas industry. Mr. Oliver has experience in all phases of the FTC and DOJ investigation processes, from reviewing HSR filings to challenging mergers in litigation.
- Defending Olin Corp. in multiple proposed class actions alleging conspiracy to fix caustic soda prices.
- Represent Shell Oil in multiple matters, including sale of Martinez Refinery and other California assets.
- Represent UnitedHealth in multiple matters, including acquisition of Equian, LLC.
- Represent Liberty Media and SiriusXM in numerous transactions, including acquisition of Pandora Media and the Home Shopping Network.
- Represented AT&T, Time Warner, and their respective CEOs in three private lawsuits (brought in the C.D. Cal. and N.D. Tex.) challenging the proposed AT&T/Time Warner merger.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in numerous transactions, including acquisition of Donhad Pty Ltd, Manroland Web Systems, and Flow International.
- Represented Southern Company in recent sale of Gulf Power, Elizabethtown Gas, and Elkton Gas to various purchasers.
- Represented Valero Energy Corp. in multiple transactions, including proposed acquisition of Plains All American's San Francisco Terminals.
- Century Aluminum of South Carolina Inc. v. South Carolina Public Service Authority - Counsel for Century Aluminum in action brought in South Carolina federal court alleging Sherman Act Section 1 and 2 violations. Settled favorably.
- Grand Strand Water and Sewer Authority v. Oltrin Solutions LLC - Counsel for Olin in dismissal from class action alleging violations of Sherman Act Section 1 case.
- Represented Olin Corp. in acquisition of Dow's Chlorine Products Business.
- Represented Regency Energy Partners' acquisition of PVR Partners and Eagle Rock Partners. No FTC action despite second request.
While at the FTC, Mr. Oliver:
- Reviewed multiple mergers among major master limited partnerships in the oil and gas industry.
- Investigated alleged anticompetitive conduct in the gathering, processing, storage, and pipeline transportation of natural gas and natural gas liquids.
- Investigated multiple acquisitions of petroleum refineries in varying markets across the United States.
- Participated in the FTC's challenge of Graco Inc.'s proposed acquisition of ITW Finishing LLC from Illinois Tool Works Inc (the parties ultimately settled with the FTC).
- Investigated consummated mergers in varying industries, including the oil and gas industry.
Global Competition Review
American Bar Association's Antitrust Magazine
Seventh Circuit Rules That Differences in Package Size Do Not Support Claim of Discrimination In "Promotional Services" Under Robinson-Patman ActFirm Thought Leadership