Maureen K. Ohlhausen joins the firm after leading the Federal Trade Commission as Acting Chairman and Commissioner. She directed all aspects of the FTC's antitrust work, including merger review and conduct enforcement, and steered all FTC consumer protection enforcement, with a particular emphasis on privacy and technology issues. A thought leader, Ms. Ohlhausen has published dozens of articles on antitrust, privacy, IP, regulation, FTC litigation, telecommunications, and international law issues in prestigious publications and has testified over a dozen times before the U.S. Congress. Ms. Ohlhausen has relationships with officials in the U.S. and abroad, with a particular emphasis on Europe and China, and has led the U.S. delegation at international antitrust and data privacy meetings on many occasions. She has received numerous awards, including the FTC's Robert Pitofsky Lifetime Achievement Award.
Prior to her role as Commissioner, Ms. Ohlhausen led the FTC's Internet Access Task Force, which produced an influential report analyzing competition and consumer protection legal issues in the areas of broadband and Internet.
In private practice, she headed the FTC practice group at a leading telecommunications firm, representing and counseling telecommunications and technology clients on antitrust compliance, privacy, and consumer protection matters before the FTC and the FCC. She also clerked at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
- Directed all aspects of the FTC antitrust work, including merger review, anticompetitive conduct enforcement, litigation strategy, amicus briefs, Congressional testimony, and policy initiative
- Oversaw and steered all FTC consumer protection law enforcement and policy efforts, with a particular emphasis on technology and telecommunications issues
- Heard appeals in administrative adjudications and authored FTC legal opinions
- Counseled telecommunications and technology clients on competition and consumer protection matters, such as antitrust compliance, consumer privacy and data security requirements, advertising and marketing matters, and issues involving FTC authority and jurisdiction
- Represented clients before Federal Trade Commission and Federal Communications Commission
Awards & Community
FTC Robert Pitofsky Lifetime Achievement Award
Touchstones of Leadership Public Policy Award
Phoenix Center Public Service Award
George Mason University Distinguished Alumni Award
Internet Association's Internet Freedom Award, 2017
Challenges to Antitrust in a Changing Economy, Harvard Law School
Media Markets and Competition Law: Multinational Perspectives, Competition Policy International
Hearing Testimony, United States House of Representatives, Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Commercial, and Administrative Law
Washington Legal Foundation, Legal Backgrounder, Vol. 34, No. 5
Panel, ACC NCR Practical Privacy Primer - Elements of a Strong Privacy Program
Baker Botts, in partnership with Concurrences Review, will be hosting our annual complimentary Global Antitrust Seminar on Thursday, 26 September in Brussels.
Baker Botts Antitrust Partners Erik Koons and Maureen Ohlhausen will be speaking at the Knect365 Antitrust TX 2019 Conference in Houston on September 24, 2019.