Tina Q. Nguyen represents plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts in a variety of high-stakes, complex commercial matters. Her practice focuses on energy litigation, pension and ERISA matters and real-estate defense.
Ms. Nguyen represents and advises energy clients on lease termination claims, royalty litigation, area of mutual interest provisions, and disputes arising from other oil and gas agreements. She also has extensive experience in pension and ERISA litigation, including defending class action claims of breach of fiduciary duties. Clients value Ms. Nguyen's ability to provide practical guidance based on her substantive legal experience and her skillful advocacy through trial and appeal.
Before joining Baker Botts, Ms. Nguyen was a law clerk to then Chief Judge Sidney A. Fitzwater of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Obtained summary judgment in a breach of contract, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit involving assets valued at more than $1.5 billion, which was affirmed on appeal (Harrison v. Harrison Interests, No. 14–15–00348–CV, Texas 14th Court of Appeals)
- Obtained directed verdict in favor of electric utility in real-property trial, which was affirmed on appeal (Rodriguez v. CenterPoint Energy, No. 14-16-00867-CV, Texas 14th Court of Appeals)
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an oil and gas operator holding that the defendants had breached the warranty in an oil and gas lease (Marathon Oil v. Edmund Tom, No. 14-08-0644-CVA, 218th Judicial District Court of Atascosa County, Texas)
- Obtained dismissal based on lack of personal jurisdiction in favor of oil and gas company, which was affirmed on appeal (International Energy Ventures Management v. United Energy Group, No. 14-20552, 5th Circuit)
- Obtained summary judgment for electric utility in various disputes (Bryant v. CenterPoint Energy, No. 2014-50521, 334th Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas; Henderson v. CenterPoint Energy, No. 80459-CV, 149th Judicial District Court of Brazoria County, Texas)
- Tried to verdict an oil and gas dispute on behalf of a Fortune 500 energy company involving the impact of an area of mutual interest clause on over a hundred oil and gas leases
- Represented oilfield services company in complex dispute over the proper interpretation of contractual arbitration clauses on both trial and appellate levels (Halliburton v. KBR, No. 2012-39503, Texas First Court of Appeals)
- Represented an investor in energy-related businesses in a breach of contract and fraud action on both trial and appellate levels in Texas and Alaska
Pension and ERISA Litigation
- Obtained unanimous ruling from Texas Supreme Court on a municipal pension system's pursuit of pension claims against City of Houston (Houston Municipal Employees Pension System v. City of Houston, No. 17-0242, Texas Supreme Court)
- Obtained unanimous ruling from court of appeals, affirming dismissal of the City of Houston's constitutional challenges to statute governing the municipal firefighter's pension system (City of Houston v. Houston Firefighters' Relief and Retirement Fund, No. 14-14-00437-CV, Texas 14th Court of Appeals)
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an energy company in ERISA stock-drop suit (Schweitzer v. Investment Committee of Phillips 66 Savings Plan, No. 4:17-cv-03013, Southern District of Texas)
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of retail store in ERISA action (Kochanek v. Aetna & Home Depot, No. 4:16-CV-00324 BSM, Eastern District of Arkansas)
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an oil and gas company in ERISA action (Frasier v. Cigna, No. 15-cv-00458-MAC, Eastern District of Texas)
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an oilfield services company in ERISA actions (e.g., Shafer v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company et al., No. 1:14-CV-00656-RM-KMT, District Court of Colorado; Schuck v. Schlumberger Technology, Inc., No. 12-CV-006-ABJ, District Court of Wyoming; Stout v. Pathfinder Energy Services, LLC, No. 6:14-cv-02457-RTH-CMH, Western District of Louisiana).
- Represented Fortune 500 companies in internal investigation involving allegations of breach of fiduciary duty related to pension plans
- Representation of various large companies in stock drops suits under ERISA
- Represented an oilfield services company and a philanthropic foundation in ERISA actions in Texas and other states
Real Estate Litigation
- Obtained summary judgments in defense of real-estate developer in nuisance lawsuits involving the construction of an office building (Sands v. 2229 San Felipe, LLC, No. 2014-40441, 165th Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas; Ogg v. 2229 San Felipe, No. 2016-26744, 129th Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas)
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a commercial tenant against a landlord in a $12 million suit (GSC Wholesale v. Studemont, No. 2016-00796, 80th Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas)
- Represented amicus curiae in nuisance lawsuit involving construction of a high-rise building (Loughhead v. 1717 Bissonnet, No. 2013-26155, 157th Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas)
- Representation of real-estate developer in dispute with tenant for recovery of rent
- Counseling of real-estate developer on construction and property issues
Energy Litigation Update
Baker Botts In-House Presentation
Baker Botts In-House Presentation
Pratt's Energy Law Report