Global Legal Chronicle
As an associate in the firm's Global Projects group, Mr. Marquez represents both domestic and foreign companies and private equity firms in a wide variety of transactions, including project financing, project development, as well as domestic and international mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
Mr. Marquez has represented clients in project financing and M&A transactions in numerous countries, including Chile, Panama, the Dominican Republic, Curaçao, Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Costa Rica, and Mexico. His transactional experience includes a variety of industries, such as power generation (including renewable energy) and telecommunications.
Prior to joining Baker Botts, Mr. Marquez worked as a student-attorney in the Duke Children's Law Clinic representing families in a variety of special education and disability benefits cases. Additionally, Mr. Marquez worked as a student-attorney in both the Duke Start-Up Ventures and Community Enterprise Clinics, advising start-ups and non-profits in corporate governance and entity formation issues.
Before entering law school, Mr. Marquez worked as a bilingual teacher in the Houston Independent School District as part of the Teach For America program and later as a 6th grade math teacher with KIPP Houston Public Schools.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Liberty Latin America, in its pending $500 million acquisition of Telefonica S.A.'s wireless operations in Costa Rica
- Private equity fund's purchase of 31 hydroelectric projects in the United States
- NRG, in its acquisition of Stream Energy, a national electric and gas retailer
- Liberty Latin America in its cross-border acquisition of United Telecommunication Systems NV (Curacao)
- NRG, in the sale of its Canal 3 gas-fired generation project to an affiliate of Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners
- American Industrial Partners, in several add-on transactions for portfolio company, acpi, including the acquisitions of Cabinets 2000 and Master WoodCraft Cabinetry
- Subsidiary of a global independent power producer, with respect to project financing matters related to a natural gas pipeline and LNG tank in the Dominican Republic
- Private equity fund based outside of Washington, D.C., in connection with obtaining financing through a private placement of Notes and a term loan, letter of credit and revolving loan Credit Facility, for a portfolio of hydroelectric power generating projects located in Massachusetts and New Hampshire
- Private equity fund in raising financing through a private placement of Notes and a letter of credit and revolving loan Credit Facility, for the acquisition of a portfolio of hydroelectric power generating projects located throughout the U.S.
- Affiliates of Navigator Holdings in connection with the financing of its interest in an ethylene export facility located in Texas
- Subsidiary of a global independent power producer on its second restructuring of a 531 MW hydroelectric project in Chile
- The sponsors and borrowers of a global independent power producer and Inversiones Bahía, with respect to project financing matters on the Colón LNG-to-power project, the largest combined-cycle power generation facility and first LNG import terminal in Panama
Liberty Latin America Ltd.'s 12.5% Acquisition Of United Telecommunication Services – Global Legal ChronicleGlobal Legal Chronicle
Global Legal Chronicle
Deal Pipeline, The