Don Lonczak is a partner in our Tax Group with a concentration in both U.S. and international income tax matters and is a member of the Baker Botts Oil and Gas M&A team. His broad-based, transaction-oriented practice includes structuring and negotiating the tax aspects of domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate spin-offs, as well as of public or private financings and derivative financial products. He regularly advises multinational corporations with respect to internal tax planning (both domestic and cross-border), transfer pricing and tax controversy matters. He has experience with the tax incentives available for renewable energy projects, including the production tax credit (PTC) and investment tax credit (ITC), as well as strategies for participation of tax equity investors in such projects. He also works with hedge funds, private equity funds and real estate funds in connection with their structures and investments.
Prior to joining Baker Botts, Mr. Lonczak was a partner at another international law firm. He also has practiced as a certified public accountant and formerly was associated with Arthur Andersen & Co.
- Halliburton in connection with its proposed merger with Baker Hughes
- AT&T in connect with the divestiture of its worldwide "managed hosting" business to IBM
- Civeo in connection with its re-domestication to Canada
- Hines in connection with the formation of "fund of one" structures for investments in U.S. real estate by sovereign wealth funds
- NRG in connection with the bankruptcy reorganization of its wholly owned subsidiary, GenOn
- Marriott International in connection with the spin-off to shareholders of its worldwide timeshare business and related internal restructurings
- Sallie Mae in connection with the spin-off of its education loan management and servicing business as a new public company, Navient Corporation
- Liberty Global in connection with its merger with Virgin Media and migration to the United Kingdom
- The Olayan Group in connection with its acquisition of the Sony building at 550 Madison Avenue, and other U.S. real estate investments
- Vectren in connection with its merger with Centerpoint Energy
- Blackstone in connection with its investment in Onyx
- AES Corp. in connection with the sale of its stake in the Silver Ridge Power LLC venture to SunEdison Inc.
- Borealis Infrastructure in connection with its minority investment in a portfolio of wind farm assets from EDP Renováveis S.A.
- Abengoa Solar LLC in connection with its joint venture with BrightSource Energy to develop a solar electric generating system in California
- Helm Corporation in its sale of Helm Bank SA to CorpBanca Columbia
- EQT Infrastructure Fund and Foristar in connection with the acquisition of Midland Cogeneration Venture Limited Partnership GE Energy Financial Services in connection with financing for its Caledonia combined cycle power plant
- LMA International N.V. in connection with its initial public offering on the Singapore Stock Exchange, its acquisition of Wolfe Tory Medical, Inc. and its sale to Teleflex, Inc.
- GrupoSura in connection with its acquisition of the Latin American pensions, life insurance and investment management operations of the ING Group
- Cinram, Inc. in connection with a comprehensive refinancing and recapitalization transaction
- JBS S.A. in connection with its joint venture with Link Snacks, Inc. and its acquisition of a majority stake in Pilgrim's Pride through a bankruptcy proceeding
- Avenue Capital in connection with the bankruptcy reorganization of Milacron Inc.
- Novartis AG in connection with the divestiture of its medical nutrition business to Nestlé, the acquisition of the adult nutritional supplement business of the Mead Johnson division of Bristol Myers Squibb and the spin-off of its worldwide agricultural business as Syngenta AG
Coronavirus Crisis Response
New Proposed Regulations Provide Welcome Transition Relief From Application of Onerous Proposed Section 382 Net Operating Loss Limitation Rules to Certain M&A TransactionsFirm Thought Leadership
IRS Issues Proposed Regulations Regarding Withholding Requirements Upon Dispositions of Partnership InterestsFirm Thought Leadership
Baker Botts is a sponsor of the 2018 Texas Federal Tax Institute in San Antonio, Texas on June 6-8, 2018.
Part Three of the Series will take place on Thursday, April 5, and will cover Miscellaneous International Changes and State and Local Tax Implications.