Global Legal Chronicle
Jon Lobb focuses on U.S. federal income tax matters. His practice includes domestic and cross-border transactions, mergers and acquisitions, liquefied natural gas (LNG), oil and gas, and other domestic and international energy projects, and securities offerings. He is a member of the Baker Botts Oil & Gas M&A Team.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation – $3.977 billion acquisition of WildHorse Resource Development Corporation
- BHP Billiton – $10.5 billion sale of Petrohawk Energy Corporation to BP America Production Company
- BHP Billiton – sale of Fayetteville oil and gas assets to a subsidiary of Merit Energy Company
- McDermott International, Inc. – $6 billion combination with Chicago Bridge & Iron Company N.V.
- Liberty Expedia Holdings, Inc. – pending acquisition by Expedia Group, Inc.
- QVC – $2.1 billion acquisition of HSN
- Schlumberger Limited – $14.8 billion acquisition of Cameron International Corporation
- Liberty Media Corporation – $8 billion acquisition of Formula One
- Starz – $4.4 billion acquisition by Lions Gate Entertainment Corporation
- Liberty Latin America – acquisition of 40% interest in Liberty Cablevision Puerto Rico from affiliates of Searchlight Capital Partners
- EQT Corporation – $575 million sale of upstream and midstream assets to Diversified Gas & Oil Corporation
- Transocean – $250 million acquisition of Transocean Partners LLC
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation – $840 million sale of upstream oil and gas assets to a private equity company
- Schlumberger Limited – formation of OneSubsea joint venture with Cameron International Corporation
- Schlumberger Limited – $11 billion acquisition of Smith International, Inc.
- Neftegaz Holding America Limited (an indirect subsidiary of OAO Rosneft) – acquisition of oil and gas assets from ExxonMobil Corporation
- Liberty Global, Inc. – sale of its 54%-owned subsidiary AUSTAR United Communications Limited to FOXTEL for $1 billion
- Cheniere Energy, Inc. – development of Sabine Pass and Corpus Christi LNG liquefaction and export facilities, including negotiation of LNG sale and purchase agreements (SPAs)
- Cheniere Energy, Inc. – master sale and purchase agreements (MSAs) for spot trades of LNG
- Jordan Cove Energy Project LLP – development of LNG liquefaction and receiving facility
- Petrobras – MSAs for spot trades of LNG
- Major energy company – investment in LNG import terminal in South America
Master Limited Partnerships
- Transocean Partners LLC – initial public offering
- Golar LNG Partners – multiple equity offerings
- Höegh LNG Partners – multiple equity offerings
- MLP Underwriters – multiple public offerings by Teekay LNG Partners
Texas Lawbook, The
IRS Issues Proposed Rules Defining “Real Property” for Purposes of Tax-Free Section 1031 Like-Kind ExchangesClient Updates
New Proposed Regulations Provide Welcome Transition Relief From Application of Onerous Proposed Section 382 Net Operating Loss Limitation Rules to Certain M&A TransactionsClient Updates
IRS Issues Proposed Regulations Regarding Withholding Requirements Upon Dispositions of Partnership InterestsClient Updates
Baker Botts is a sponsor of the 2020 TEI Houston Chapter Tax School taking place February 24, 2020 - February 28, 2020 at the Hyatt Regency Houston.
Part Three of the Series will take place on Thursday, April 5, and will cover Miscellaneous International Changes and State and Local Tax Implications.
Part One of the Series will take place on Wednesday, March 7th and will cover Transition Tax and provide an Introduction to the New Quasi-Territorial Tax System.