Russell Lewis is Chair of the Litigation Department in Houston. He has substantial experience helping clients navigate multi-faceted matters that include complex commercial cases, crisis response, class actions, and government investigations. He also regularly counsels companies on regulatory and compliance matters.
With extensive experience in disputes, Mr. Lewis has represented clients in matters as diverse as large-scale commercial cases, environmental matters, claims arising out of production sharing contracts and operating agreements, condemnation proceedings, class actions, negligence, product liability, and ERISA issues. He has litigated numerous cases in state and federal courts, as well as before international arbitral institutions.
Mr. Lewis also has represented companies in government investigations including matters brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission and U.S. Department of Justice. He routinely advises clients on compliance matters, including adherence with the FCPA and UK Bribery Act.
Mr. Lewis has a deep understanding of the operational issues and litigation risks facing companies in the energy and manufacturing industries. As a result, companies often call upon Mr. Lewis for day-to-day consulting and strategic advice. In this capacity, Mr. Lewis has counseled clients on the legal aspects of their domestic and foreign operations, led internal investigations, conducted risk assessments, and developed and implemented emergency response protocols.
Energy-Related Matters and Class Actions
- Representing Intercontinental Terminals Company LLC in crisis response, governmental enforcement defense, and multiple class actions and private party lawsuits arising out of Deer Park terminal fire
- Represented Cobalt International Energy, Inc. and its directors and officers in securities class action alleging 10b-5 and Section 11 claims
- Represented product manufacturer in crisis response, governmental enforcement defense, and multiple class action lawsuits arising out of alleged backflow event resulting in implementation of city-wide water use ban
- Represented international plumbing system manufacturer in multistate defense of federal class actions alleging product liability and consumer fraud claims arising out of allegedly defective plumbing systems
- Represented international E&P company with strategic advice related to assets in West Africa and Gulf of Mexico
- Represented international energy company in dispute with drilling rig company regarding liabilities arising from release in Gulf of Mexico
- Represented international E&P company in dispute regarding area of mutual interest
- Represented international E&P company in dispute with royalty holder
- Represented energy company consortia in condemnation proceedings instituted by a pipeline company
- Represented sovereign state in Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC) arbitration regarding allegations of expropriation of oil company under a bilateral investment treaty
- Represented sovereign state in defense of claims brought by investors in arbitration under Energy Charter Treaty
- Represented international E&P company in multi-year investigations by SEC and DOJ concerning FCPA allegations arising out of operations in West Africa
- Represented E&P company in investigation by EPA into Clean Water Act violations
- Represented international chemical manufacturer in investigation related to allegations of financial fraud
- Represented energy company in securities class action investigation and lawsuit
- Represented manufacturing company in internal investigation into accounting practices
- Represented major automobile manufacturer in commercial dispute involving warranty and pricing claims arising out an exclusive supplier's design and manufacture of diesel engines
- Represented petrochemical company against gross negligence employee claims alleging exposure to benzene and benzene-containing products. Second-chaired trial resulting in take nothing verdict
- Represented pharmaceutical company in defense of indemnity action for strict liability claims resulting from alleged exposures to pesticide products, gaining summary judgment for client
- Represented major chemical company in defense of multiple product liability cases arising from the usage of industrial and household solvents
- Represented pharmaceutical company in multistate defense of negligence and strict liability claims involving thimerosal-containing pediatric vaccines
Awards & Community
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer, 2013-2019
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star, 2008-2013
Recognized by H Texas Magazine as a "Professional on the Fast Track," 2009
The Houston Lawyer
The program will examine how anticorruption enforcement can cover conduct that seems benign or even virtuous – such as hiring employees or making charitable contributions.