Daniel Hulseberg has developed an extensive intellectual property law practice with several Fortune 500 corporations, handling extensive IP diligence, transactions, product development, patent prosecution, and litigation strategy.
Mr. Hulseberg regularly counsels clients and supervises due diligence reviews for a wide range of transactions, and negotiates and drafts agreements for acquisitions, licenses, and technology transfers. He also develops and implements strategies to merge, integrate and develop acquired technology for synergistic results and cost efficiencies.
Additionally, Mr. Hulseberg performs detailed assessments and improvements of corporate trade secret programs to enhance protection of the valuable intellectual property rights.
Mr. Hulseberg performs sophisticated product clearance assessments and guides product development to minimize intellectual property risks in a variety of industries, including structural heart, diabetes care, cardiovascular, orthopedic, and diagnostic medical devices; consumer products and packaging; petroleum and energy technologies, and financial and insurance products and related business methods. He also develops programs to monitor relevant patent activities, and counsels clients and provides opinions in support of product launch and patent litigation.
Additionally, Mr. Hulseberg manages patent estates involving several thousand patent and trademark matters, including supervising and performing all phases of patent and trademark prosecution in the United States and throughout the world. He also develops and implements programs to monitor intellectual property activities by competitors, and facilitates and manages internal innovation efforts.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Hulseberg worked as a structural and acoustics engineer for General Dynamics’ Electric Boat Division and for Tracor Applied Sciences, and as a Patent Examiner with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Leading medical device company – due diligence, negotiations and technology transfer for various transactions, including acquisitions and licenses, in excess of $10 billion
- Worldwide packaging company – development and management of a worldwide patent and trademark portfolio directed to disposable consumer products and building materials, license negotiations and drafting, product clearance and opinions, litigation strategy and counsel
- International health care company – assessment and enhancement of worldwide trade secret program, including policies, procedures, training and agreements
- Major orthopedic company – due diligence, product clearance and opinions, and patent procurement involving a range of spinal implant products
- Significant financial institution – strategic industry analysis, development of internal intellectual property program, negotiation of license to a major patent portfolio related to automated telephone interface technology
- Worldwide healthcare company – product clearance and opinions, due diligence, and patent procurement for a wide variety of cardiovascular, diabetes care, diagnostic, nutritional and ophthalmic products
- Large recreational equipment company – patent procurement, product clearance and opinions, due diligence and intellectual property transactions involving fitness and recreational sports equipment
- Significant sensor company – due diligence, acquisition and license negotiations and drafting related to sensor technology, counsel on patent protection and enforcement strategies
- Multinational irrigation company – development and management of a worldwide patent and trademark portfolio directed to lawn irrigation products, product clearance and opinions, litigation strategy and counsel
- Leading petroleum and energy company – patent procurement and counsel
Awards & Community
Named a "Client Service All-Star" by BTI Consulting Group's Client Service All-Stars, 2016, 2019, & 2020
Listed in Patent Litigation, Who's Who Legal: Life Sciences, 2016
Recognized in Intellectual Asset Management's IAM Patent 1000, 2016, (transactions and prosecution)
Panelist, ACC Westchester
IPR Panel: Hot Topics
IPR Panel: Hot Topics
Baker Botts will be hosting a private reception at the JW Marriott located in San Francisco Union Square on Tuesday January 8, 2019.