Jonathan Gordon represents U.S. and international clients in acquisitions and sales of private and public companies and their assets. Many of these transactions have included a substantial cross-border element. Mr. Gordon also has extensive experience in the structuring and formation of joint ventures. In a practice touching on a number of areas, a significant portion of his practice has centered on the representation of businesses in the media, cable television, sports and entertainment, technology, manufacturing and chemical industries.
Akzo Nobel N.V.
- Sale of its 50 percent interest in Flexsys, a leading worldwide rubber chemicals producer, to Solutia, Inc.
- Acquisition of ChemCraft Holdings Corporation, a leading wood coatings manufacturer
- Acquisition of Dexter Corporation’s coatings business
- Disposition of various international chemical businesses through controlled auctions
Discovery Holding Company
- Roll-up transaction between Discovery Holding Company and Advance/Newhouse Programming, pursuant to which their interests in Discovery Communications will be consolidated in a new public company
- Representation of Discovery Holding Company in connection with Discovery Communications’ $1.9 billion redemption of Cox Communications’ 25 percent equity stake in Discovery Communications
- Structuring of investments in numerous interactive television technology, applications, and content companies, including acquisition of a 50 percent interest in the Game Show Network from Sony and a significant interest in Alloy, Inc.
Liberty Media Corporation
- Acquisition by DirecTV of Liberty Entertainment, Inc. and the creation of a new public parent, DIRECTV
- $16.5 billion acquisition of News Corp.’s 40 percent interest in DirecTV, three regional sports networks, and cash in a tax-free exchange for Liberty Media Corporation’s 16 percent stake in News Corp.
- Sale of the International Channel and interest in E! to Comcast in a “cash-rich split-off”
- Sale of USA Networks to Vivendi Universal
- Investment in IDT Corporation
- Spin-off of Liberty Media’s 50 percent interest in Discovery Communications and 100 percent interest in Ascent Entertainment Group to form Discovery Holding Company; subsequent representation of Discovery Holding Company
- $500 million equity investment by Liberty Media in News Corp. in connection with News Corp.’s 2003 bid to acquire DirecTV
NBA Houston Rockets/Houston Regional Sports Network
- Restructuring of regional sports network and licensing of media rights of Rockets and Astros to Fox Sports
- Acquisition of Wink Communications, Inc.
- Acquisition of ACTV, Inc.
- Investment in Youbet.com, Inc.
- Licensing arrangements with America TAB, Ltd.
- Formation of the Yankees Entertainment and Sports (YES) Network and sale of a significant stake to Goldman Sachs
Global Legal Chronicle
On June 15, Baker Botts is pleased to host a 50-minute interactive panel on “Ethical Considerations In Business Transactions”.
The inaugural Reverb Conference, hosted by Colorado Innovation Network and Sound Ventures (a Liberty company), is a conference organized to foster connections between national tech startup firms and government.