John Gaustad works on a range of intellectual property matters, focusing primarily on patent infringement litigation and proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board ("PTAB"). Mr. Gaustad has extensive pre-trial briefing experience, including preparing briefing for motions to dismiss, discovery motions, claim construction, and motions for summary judgment. Mr. Gaustad has experience preparing PTAB petitions for inter partes review and preliminary responses. Mr. Gaustad also has experience preparing appellate briefs.
Mr. Gaustad has experience taking and defending depositions. At the trial-court level, Mr. Gaustad has argued discovery motions and has argued at claim construction. He has also argued before the Ninth Circuit on a pro bono matter.
Mr. Gaustad has litigated cases involving a wide range of technologies including location-based services, search-engine optimization, computer software, fiber-optic networks, and telecommunication systems. Mr. Gaustad also has patent prosecution experience.
While in law school, Mr. Gaustad served as an extern for the Honorable Gail Ruderman Feuer of the Los Angeles Superior Court and as a Senior Copy Editor for the University of Southern California Law Review. Additionally, Mr. Gaustad received awards in 2009 and 2010 recognizing his commitment to pro bono and volunteer work.
Mr. Gaustad has served on the pro bono committee for the Palo Alto office of Baker Botts. He currently serves on the Palo Alto office's employment committee and is the work coordinator for the Palo Alto office's summer program.
Patent Infringement Litigations
- Levine v. Samsung Telecomm. Am., LLC et al., Case No. 2:09-cv-372 (E.D. Tex.)
- Tracbeam L.L.C. v. AT&T Mobility L.L.C., Case No. 6:11-cv-00096-LED (E.D. Tex.)
- United Access Technologies, LLC v. AT&T Corp. et al., Case No. 1:11-cv-00338-LPS (D. Del.)
- Digital CBT LLC v. AT&T Services Inc et al., Case No. 2:12-cv-06421-CJC-JPR (C.D. Cal.)
- Cellular Comms. Equipment LLC v. Blackberry Ltd. et al., Case No. 6:13-cv-510 (E.D. Tex.)
- Guidance IP LLC v. AT&T Inc. et al., Case No. 3:13-cv-04777-K (N.D. Tex.)
- Intellectual Ventures I LLC vT-Mobile USA Inc. et al., Case No. 1:13-cv-01632-LPS and related cases (D. Del.)
- Bascom Global Internet Services Inc. v. AT&T Corp., Case No. 3:14-cv-03942-M (N.D. Tex.)
- BrightEdge Techs., Inc. v. Searchmetrics GmbH et al., Case No. 4:14-cv-01009 HSG (N.D. Cal.)
- Capella Photonics, Inc. v. Cisco Systems Inc., Case No. 3:14-cv-03348-EMC (N.D. Cal.)
- Orlando Commc’ns LLC v. Cellco P’ship, et al., Case No. 6:14-cv-1017-Orl-22KRS and related cases (M.D. Fla.)
- Wireless Monitoring Sys. LLC v. AT&T Digital Life, Inc., Case No. 2:17-cv-501-JRG-RSP (E.D. Tex.)
- RideApp, Inc. v. Lyft, Inc., No. 3:18-cv-07152-JST (N.D. Cal.)
- Sonus Networks, Inc. v. Metaswitch Networks Ltd. et al., Case Nos. 2:18-cv-00057-RWS and -00058-RWS (E.D. Tex.)
Patent Trial and Appeal Board – Inter Partes Reviews
- Searchmetrics, Inc. et al. v. BrightEdge Techs., Inc., IPR2014-01227, Patent 8,478,700
- Searchmetrics, Inc. et al. v. BrightEdge Techs., Inc., IPR2014-01517, Patent 8,478,746
- Searchmetrics, Inc. et al. v. BrightEdge Techs., Inc., IPR2015-00257, Patent 8,135,706
- Cellco P’ship D/B/A/ Verizon Wireless, et al., IPR 2015-01567, Patent No. 5,687,196
- Cellco P’ship D/B/A/ Verizon Wireless, et al., IPR2015-01573, Patent No. 6,009,553
- Fitbit, Inc. v. Blackbird Techs. LLC d/b/a Blackbird Techs., LLC, IPR 2017-0212, Patent 6,434,212
- Berman v. OpenTV Corp. et al., Case No. CIV 484904 (San Mateo Cnty. Super. Ct.)
- Berman v. Super. Crt. of the State of Cal., for the Cnty. of San Mateo (OpenTV Corp., Real Party in Interest), A136571 (Cal. Ct. App., 1st App. Dist.)
- Berman v. Super. Crt. of State of Cal. for the Cnty. of San Mateo (OpenTV Corp., Real Party in Interest), Case No. 3:12-cv-03869-WHA (N.D. Cal.)
- Heilman v. Cherniss et al., Case No. 2:11-cv-00042-JAM-EFB (E.D. Cal.)
- BrightEdge Techs., Inc. v. Martinez, et al., Case No. 1:13-cv-256794 (Santa Clara Cnty. Super. Ct.)
- Marroquin v. Grady et al., Case No. 13-15580 (9th Cir.)
- In re Searchmetrics, Inc., Case No. 1:17-bk-11032 (Bankr. D. Del.)
- Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. v. Cambium Networks, Inc. et al., Case No. 1:18-cv-05369 (N.D. Ill.)
Global Legal Chronicle
PTAB Trials Blog