Global Competition Review
Tom Fina represents companies before the competition agencies in the United States and around the world. He has guided hundreds of transactions through the U.S. and international antitrust merger review process, appearing before the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, the Competition Directorate of the European Commission, MOFCOM (China), the UK Competition and Markets Authority, the Norwegian Competition Authority, the Brazilian competition authority, CADE, and the Mexican competition commission, COFECE. Mr. Fina has also counseled numerous companies with respect to the analysis, formation and reportability of joint ventures in the U.S. and other jurisdictions. He represents clients in a range of industries including oilfield services, energy, manufacturing, mining equipment, medical devices, consumer products, chemicals, insurance and software. He is a member of the Baker Botts Oil & Gas M&A team.
Mr. Fina's experience includes representing numerous companies in antitrust audits, internal investigations and in designing and implementing antitrust compliance programs in the United States and internationally; criminal grand jury investigations involving medical services, sulfuric acid, metal containers, petroleum drill bits, molded door skins and industrial diamonds; and civil non-merger investigations in aluminum manufacturing, aluminum processing, float glass, insurance, hazardous waste disposal, trade association activities and athletic shoes.
- Chesapeake in its acquisition of Wildhorse Resource Development Company
- WorleyParsons in its acquisition of Jacobs' Energy, Chemicals & Resources Division
- Gaylord Chemical in its acquisition by Eagle Tree Capital
- U.S. Silica in its acquisition of EP Minerals
- McDermott International in its acquisition of Chicago Bridge & Iron
- Halliburton in its acquisition of Baker Hughes Inc.
- Centerpoint in its acquisition of Enogex
- Baker Hughes in its acquisition of BJ Services
- Halliburton in its acquisition of Multichem
- National Oilwell Varco in its acquisition of Robbins & Myers, Inc.
- National Oilwell Varco in its acquisition of Ameron International
- Hercules Offshore in its acquisition of Seahawk Drilling's rigs
- Wood Group PLC in the sale of its Well Support Division to General Electric
- Universal Compression in its merger with Hanover Compressor to form Exterran
- Merger of Hercules Offshore and TODCO (represented both parties)
- Merger of National Oilwell Inc. and Varco International, Inc. (represented both parties)
- National Oilwell Varco in the formation of the Intelliserv joint venture with Schlumberger
- Grant Prideco in the sale of its TTS business to Vallourec
- National Oilwell Varco in its acquisition of Grant Prideco (represented both parties)
- Valspar Corporation in its acquisition of the powder coatings business of H.B. Fuller Co.
- NeighborCare, Inc. in its acquisition by Omnicare, Inc. in conjunction with Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- PepsiCo, Inc. in its acquisition of The Quaker Oats Company
- Electronic Data Systems Corporation (EDS) in its acquisition of Structural Dynamics Research Corporation
- General Mills in its acquisition of RTE cereal assets from Ralcorp
- 3M in its acquisition of Racal Health and Safety
- 3M in its acquisition of pharmaceutical assets from Curatek
- Fortune Brands in its acquisition of American Locks
- Baker Hughes in its WesternGeco joint venture with Schlumberger
- Friede & Goldman, Ltd. in its acquisition of Halter Marine Group
- Bucyrus Erie in its acquisition of Global Industrial Technologies
- Cooper Cameron Corporation in its acquisition of Orbit Valves
Awards & Community
Highly Recommended, GCR Texas Antitrust Bar Survey (2017)
Recommended for Antitrust: Merger Control in The Legal 500 U.S. (2016)
AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell (2012)
Named as a BTI Client Service All-Star (2011)
Merger Process Reform Working Group, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section (2008–2010)
Vice Chair, Compliance and Ethics Committee, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section (2007–2008)
Merger Process Reform Task Force, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section (2005–2006)
Vice Chair, Mergers and Acquisitions Committee, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section (2002–2005)
Merger Review Working Group, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section (2001–2002)
Task Force on HSR Investigations, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section (2000–2001)
American Bar Association, Antitrust Section (1989–2017)
Global Competition Review
Texas Lawbook, The
Texas Lawbook, The
U.S. Antitrust Agencies Issue Guidance for Businesses Looking to Cooperate in Fighting COVID-19 PandemicFirm Thought Leadership
M&A and Merger Control in the Energy Sector - Examining the Prospects for Future Deals in the U.S. and EUWebinar
Baker Botts CLE
On March 6th, Baker Botts is hosting a a breakfast CLE seminar program featuring Maureen Ohlhausen, former Acting Chair at the Federal Trade Commission, who will provide insights on antitrust enforcement in the Trump Administration.
On February 21st, Baker Botts Partner Thomas Fina will be speaking on a panel about Innovations in Collaboration v. Collusion in the Oilfield at the IEL 70th Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference.