Texas Lawbook, The
A.J.Ericksen represents public and private businesses in a broad range of corporate, mergers & acquisitions (M&A), capital markets and securities law matters. Mr. Ericksen has particular experience in the energy sector in the areas of midstream, oilfield services and complex tax structures such as master limited partnerships (MLP) and Up-Cs.
Mr. Ericksen has advised companies, special committees, private equity firms and institutional investors in numerous M&A transactions. He has significant experience in initial public offerings (IPOs), Rule 144A offerings and other public and private offerings of equity and debt securities. He also represents clients in connection with liability management transactions, debt tender offers and consent solicitations. In addition, he counsels companies as to corporate governance, Exchange Act reporting, Section 16 compliance and other corporate and securities law matters.
Public Company Mergers & Acquisitions
- Conflicts Committee of CNX Midstream Partners LP – $357 million all-stock acquisition by CNX Resources Corporation
- AmeriGas Partners, L.P. – $2.4 billion merger with UGI Corporation
- Naphtha Israel Petroleum Corporation Ltd. – $330 million going-private acquisition of Isramco, Inc.
- Schlumberger – $14.8 billion acquisition of Cameron International Corporation
- Delek U.S. Holdings, Inc. – $160 million acquisition of public unitholders' stake in Alon USA Partners, LP
- Conflicts Committee of PennTex Midstream Partners, LP – $280 million going-private transaction involving tender offer by Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
- Transocean Ltd. – acquisition of Transocean Partners LLC
- Regency Energy Partners LP – $18 billion merger with Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
- Regency Energy Partners LP – $5.6 billion acquisition of PVR Partners, LP
- Schlumberger Limited – $11 billion acquisition of Smith International, Inc.
- Transocean – $58 billion combination with GlobalSantaFe Corporation
- Lazard – financial advisor for combination of Tidewater Inc. and GulfMark Offshore, Inc.
Private Mergers & Acquisitions
- Delek U.S. Holdings, Inc. – elimination of incentive distribution rights in Delek Logistics Partners for cash and equity
- Conflicts Committee of CNX Midstream Partners LP – elimination of incentive distribution rights for cash and equity
- Conflicts Committee of Noble Midstream Partners LP – $1.6 billion simplification and dropdown of midstream assets for cash and equity
- GEODynamics – $525 million sale of Lime Rock Partners portfolio company to Oil States International Inc. for cash and stock
- Ergon, Inc. – acquisition of general partner of, and contribution of asphalt terminals and cash to, Blueknight Energy Partners, LP
- Schlumberger Limited – formation of OneSubseaTM, a multibillion dollar joint venture with Cameron International Corporation
- Delek U.S. Holdings, Inc. – multiple dropdowns of midstream and logistics assets to Delek Logistics Partners, LP
- Ergon, Inc. – acquisition of Resinall, a manufacturer of thermoplastic resins and polymers
- Ergon Asphalt & Emulsions, Inc. – acquisition of Mexican asphalt business of SemGroup Corporation
- American Industrial Partners – acquisition of Polar Group Holdings Company, LLC
- American Industrial Partners – sale of Rockwell American
- Patterson-UTI Energy, Inc. – sale of flowback operations; multiple acquisitions of pressure pumping assets; acquisition of drilling analytics company
- Oceaneering International Inc. – $230 million acquisition of C & C Technologies, Inc.
- Private Equity Investors – co-investment in power generation company
- Private Equity Investors – co-investment in midstream company
- Midstates Petroleum Company – $650 million acquisition of E&P assets
- Marathon Oil Corporation – disposition of Gulf of Mexico pipeline interests
- Houston Wire & Cable Company – purchase of Southwest Wire Rope LP and Southern Wire, LLC
- K-Sea Transportation Partners L.P. – $203 million acquisition of private companies
- ArcLight Capital Partners, LLC – $412 million purchase of the general partner and a 63 percent limited partner interest in Buckeye GP Holdings LP
Capital Markets and Securities Offerings
- Dealer manager – $200 million private exchange of senior notes for senior secured notes by Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P.
- CVR Energy, Inc. - $1.0 billion Rule 144A senior notes offering
- Initial purchasers – $550 million Rule 144A senior notes offering by Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P.
- Underwriters – $503 million initial public offering of Cactus, Inc.
- Shell Midstream Partners, L.P. – $1.1 billion initial public offering
- Transocean Partners LLC – $442 million initial public offering
- Delek Logistics Partners, LP – $193 million initial public offering; $250 million Rule 144A senior notes offering
- Transocean – numerous Rule 144A offerings of senior notes secured by drilling rigs and related assets with an aggregate principal amount of $3.65 billion; numerous public offerings of senior notes totaling $9.5 billion; $6.6 billion public offering of convertible notes; $1 billion public offering of shares; $700 million debt tender offer
- KiOR, Inc. – $162 million initial public offering
- Underwriters – $201 million initial public offering of World Point Terminals, LP
- Underwriters – $300 million public offering of senior notes by TransMontaigne Partners, L.P.
- Bristow Group Inc. – $350 million Rule 144A offering of senior secured notes; $125 million public offering of convertible senior notes; $450 million public offering of senior notes and concurrent tender offer/redemption of senior notes
- Underwriters – $115 million public offering of cumulative redeemable preferred units of Höegh LNG Partners LP
- Initial purchasers – $1.45 billion Rule 144A offering of senior secured second lien notes by offshore E&P producer
- Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation – $1 billion public offering of common stock; $275 million public offering of common stock
- Schlumberger – numerous public and Rule 144A offerings of senior notes totaling over $12 billion
- Oceaneering International Inc. – $500 million public offering of senior notes; $300 million public offering of senior notes
- Westar Energy, Inc. – multiple public offerings of first mortgage bonds totaling $625 million
- CenterPoint Energy – numerous public and Rule 144A offerings of debt securities and common stock
- Cleco Power LLC – numerous debt offerings
- K-Sea Transportation Partners L.P. – numerous public offerings of common units totaling over $215 million
- Underwriter representations include Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P., DCP Midstream, LP, TC PipeLines, LP, Höegh LNG Partners LP, TransMontaigne Partners L.P., Burlington Northern Santa Fe, LLC, Core Laboratories, N.V., Teekay LNG Partners L.P., Tesco Corporation, Pioneer Energy Services Corp., Azure Midstream Partners, L.P., Genco Shipping & Trading Limited, Penn Virginia GP Holdings, L.P., Toreador Resources Corporation and W&T Offshore, Inc., among others
- Bristow Group Inc. – contested Chapter 11 restructuring
- Transocean Ltd. – redomestication from the Cayman Islands to Switzerland
Awards & Community
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2012-2017
Global Legal Chronicle
Texas Lawbook, The
SEC Updates Accredited Investor and QIB Definitions; Incrementally Expands Investors Who Can Invest in Private Offerings and Opens Door for Future ExpansionClient Updates
Delaware Governor Issues Emergency Order to Provide Relief for Public Company Stockholder Meetings Impacted by COVID-19Client Updates
SEC Extends Conditional Filing Relief to Companies Affected by Coronavirus; Provides COVID-19 Disclosure GuidanceClient Updates
Baker Botts Tax partner Steve Marcus and Corporate partner A.J. Ericksen will be hosting a Corporate Webinar Series covering Up-C structures and related issues.
Baker Botts partners Gene Oshman, Rob Fowler and A.J. Ericksen discuss selected topics for proxy season 2017.
Baker Botts partners Josh Davidson, David Sterling, and A.J. Ericksen, discussed the important process takeaways for MLP dropdowns following the April 2015 El Paso decision of the Delaware Court of Chancery.