From the moment a workplace experiences a major accident, Greg Dillard is there to direct the legal response. He provides on-site support after accidents, managing the full spectrum of regulatory and legal obligations and focusing on all sectors of the upstream, midstream and downstream energy and chemical industries. Greg also leads internal investigations, litigates regulatory enforcement actions brought by government agencies and advises on health, safety and environmental compliance to prevent future liability.
Greg has a wide range of litigation experience before administrative law judges at OSHA, BSEE and other state and federal agencies.
Greg has led multiple client advocacy groups, promoting revisions to the PSM/RMP regulations under the OSH Act and Clean Air Act. Through meetings with regulators, written comments and other strategies, he works to influence reforms relevant to the regulated community.
Major Accident and Incident Response
- Represent multiple facilities after major accident and fatality, including response to OSHA inspection. Assist in simultaneous response to CSB and EPA inspections. Defend in personal injury and property damage lawsuits.
- Represented multiple energy companies when they experienced uncontrolled releases from production wells.
- Represent offshore production company after rig explosion and fire in response to BSEE civil and criminal investigation. Defend in related civil litigation.
- Represent pipeline operator after fatality and incident involving destruction of neighboring private property.
- Represent steel manufacturer during OSHA inspection of employee fatality.
- Represent amusement park facility after employee fatality. Defend against OSHA citations and assist with civil litigation defense.
OSHA, Safety and Health Litigation and Compliance
- Advise natural gas and pipeline companies on compliance with safety regulations for gas-gathering equipment.
- Defend multiple oil refineries, chemical plants, and midstream oil and gas companies in OSHA citations alleging violations of process safety management standard and other safety regulations.
- Defend clients in four OSHA inspections involving crane accidents or failures and related civil litigation.
- Represent multiple refineries and industrial manufacturing plants during planned OSHA inspections, including Refinery NEP inspections.
Whistleblower and Employment Litigation
- Lead internal investigation for midstream company regarding DOT whistleblower allegations.
- Represented pipeline company in DOT and STAA whistleblower litigation. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Represent steel manufacturer in OSHA investigation of 11(c) whistleblower allegations.
- Represented Texas concrete manufacturer in whistleblower litigation. Obtained favorable summary judgment.
- Represented oilfield services company in Texas and Louisiana in lawsuit opposing restrictive covenants and unfair competition. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Represent North Dakota oilfield services company in ERISA lawsuit involving denial of benefits. Also represent in settlement of second ERISA suit.
- Represent employer in three-day arbitration of breach of contract dispute with employment systems vendor.
- Defend manufacturer against unfair labor practice claims. Also represent in arbitration of collective bargaining grievance on behalf of manufacturer.
Awards & Community
Recognized by The Legal 500 U.S., 2016-2019
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2007-2009
Recommended by Chambers USA, 2016-2018
Listed in Houston Business Journal's "Who's Who in Energy," 2016
Maritime Executive Online, The
Houston Business Journal
Houston Business Journal Online
Texas Lawbook, The
Global Legal Post, The
Texas Lawbook, The
The Maritime Executive
As Congress Negotiates, States Create Immunity for Wider Range of Businesses Facing COVID-related ClaimsClient Updates
Practical Guidance for Returning to Work in the Manufacturing, Fabrication, and Distribution SectorsWebinar
Managing COVID-19 – Strategies for Oil, Gas, Chemical, and Power Companies On How to Use Safety Management Systems to Protect People & OperationsWebinar
Spotlight on EHS Crisis Response