Neil Coulson is an intellectual property lawyer, with a broad-based practice focused on dispute resolution and the exploitation of intellectual property rights, including advising on protection strategies and the full range of commercial agreements. Neil has worked in all key industry sectors, including (in particular) oil and gas, engineering, chemicals, electronics, and pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, and has represented clients asserting and defending their intellectual property rights before the UK Courts, as well as in patent matters before the UK and European Patent Offices, and in trademark and design matters before the UK IPO and the EUIPO. In transactional matters, Neil advises, in particular, on cross-border technology licensing issues, on standalone intellectual property agreements and on intellectual property in the context of corporate and commercial transactions. Neil also advises on matters related to data privacy, and has a particular niche in advertising and sponsorship matters.
Neil is recommended for patent litigation and intellectual property in Chambers UK (2014-2018), where he is described as having an "excellent reputation in the field" and being "adept across all core IP rights", with clients rating his "fantastic expertise" and finding him "engaging, prompt and intelligent." According to The Legal 500 (2014-2017), Neil "combines the rare mix of detailed legal knowledge, a practical, commercially minded approach and significant experience," is "intelligent, quick, charming and practical," and has the "perfect combination of legal expertise and commercial acumen." Neil is also ranked in the IAM Patent 1000 - Guide to the World's Leading Patent Practitioners (2012-2019), and recommended as a notable practitioner. He has been described as a "star litigator" and a "contentious whiz that consistently secures favorable results in complex fights in the oil and gas and electrical engineering sectors." Neil is also recognised for his "flawless professionalism coupled with perfect team management and client relations" as well as having "a particular talent for reaching deep into complex business issues and identifying the legal steps required."
- International oil services company in patent litigations before the UK Patents Court and Court of Appeal
- International precision engineering company in patent litigation before the UK Patents Court
- International engineering company in patent litigation before the UK Patents Court
- International medical devices company in patent litigation before the UK Patents Court
- Leading German pharmaceutical company in patent litigation before the UK Patents Court and Court of Appeal
- International precision engineering company in all matters relating to the strategic protection and exploitation of its intellectual property
- International engineering company in a trademark appeal to the Appointed Person at the UK IPO
- Leading UK pharmaceutical company on all aspects of its trade mark portfolio, including strategic counseling, trade mark prosecution, brand development and dispute resolution
- International engineering company on freedom to operate opinions and analysis
- International engineering company in design right invalidity actions
- Numerous companies in relation to their international brand portfolios
- Russian engineering companies on their technology licensing projects
- Russian oil company on intellectual property aspects of its joint ventures
- Russian chemical company on its technology licensing projects
- U.S. engineering company on its data compliance obligations
- Various international companies on the intellectual property aspects of their acquisitions, divestments and joint ventures
Awards & Community
Recommended in Chambers Global for Intellectual Property, 2015-2017 and Patent Litigation, 2015-2019
Recommended in Chambers UK for Intellectual Property and Patent Litigation, 2014-2019
Recognised in The Legal 500 UK for Intellectual Property, 2014-2019
Ranked in the IAM Patent 1000-Guide to the World's Leading Patent Professionals, 2012-2019
Recognised as an "IP Star" by Managing Intellectual Property, 2017-2019
Recognised as a World IP Review (WIPR) Leader, 2017-2019
Bright Spark: New Technologies in the Oil and Gas Industry Ignite a Rethink in Protection StrategiesExternal Article
Intellectual Property Magazine
Intellectual Property Report: March 2019
Wolters Kluwer Legal Insights
Join Baker Botts on the 12 November as we partner with IP100, to bring you the second of our series on the Lifecycle of a High Growth Company.
Baker Botts invites you to join us for a private reception & brewery tour at the Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall on Tuesday, May 21, 2019 in Boston, MA.
Baker Botts will be hosting a two-part seminar on recent issues impacting private equity portfolio company value on Tuesday, April 30, 2019.