Cynthia Cole has more than 18 years of experience representing global companies and private equity funds in complex strategic transactions. Clients benefit from Ms. Cole's legal experience as CEO and General Counsel in public and private companies. She has advised Executives and Boards of Directors on formation, organic and inorganic growth, leadership succession and exit strategies. She has extensive experience with technology companies, and a focus on technology and cross-border transactions, including leading Telecommunications, Software/SaaS and Semiconductor. She has advised companies on a range of complex transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, asset purchase and joint developments. Her experience includes a variety of commercial transactions, ranging from licensing, data sharing and monetization, original equipment manufacturer, reseller, distributor, services, data center, manufacturing to supply agreements. She is experienced with data privacy, including the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) and the EU's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Ms. Cole is certified as an Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/E) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
An adjunct Professor at Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, Ms. Cole teaches a course on information and data privacy.
Just prior to joining Baker Botts, Ms. Cole was CEO and General Counsel to an industry leader in VR/AR.
Immediately prior to joining Baker Botts, Ms. Cole was VP, General Counsel, Corporate Development, Corporate Secretary and Interim CEO of Spectra 7 Microsystems (TSE: SEV), an industry leader in VR/AR and data center applications. In that role, Cynthia oversaw all commercial, supplier, licensing, partner, and product development agreements, as well as all public filings, disclosures, and financings.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Representation of clients in Technology, Telecom, Media, Energy, Manufacturing, and Life Sciences sectors in M&A transactions with a focus on both buy and sell-side disclosure, including the representation and mitigation of data privacy and information security.
- Representation of AT&T advising on data privacy and information security in connection with the sale of data center colocation operations to Brookfield Infrastructure for $1.1 billion.
- Representation of Zix Corporation in the integration of acquired assets, advising on data privacy and information security, in connection with the $275 million acquisition of AppRiver LLC.
- Representation of NASCAR Holdings, Inc. advising on data privacy and information security in connection with the Agreement and Plan of Merger to acquire International Speedway Corporation for $2 billion.
- Representation of NRG Energy Inc. advising on data privacy and information security in connection with the acquisition of a retail electricity and natural gas business of Stream Energy for $300 million working capital.
- Representation of Liberty Media Corporation and Liberty Latin America advising on data privacy and information security in connection with various transactions.
Technology, Data Privacy & Security
- Ongoing representation of clients in Technology, Telecom, Media, Energy, Manufacturing, and Life Sciences sectors in establishing and maintaining internal response programs in the event of a data breach/loss, including advising and coordinating international breach response and disclosure (both first- and third-party responsibility).
- Technology, IP licensing, and commercial transactions for clients in the Technology, Telecom, Media, Energy, Manufacturing, and Life Sciences sectors, including creation and negotiation of data sharing and licensing agreements with a focus on data privacy, protection, storage, and transfer; negotiation and implementation of cloud computing models and agreements; and clinical trial agreements.
- Lead deal lawyer, representing MONI Smart Security (Nasdaq: ASCMA), a leading provider of in-home security alarm monitoring, in its agreement to provide professional monitoring service for Nest Secure (a subsidiary of Google).
Awards & Community
Named a "California Trailblazer" by The Recorder, 2019
Named a "National Women in Law Honoree for Thought Leadership" by Corporate Counsel, 2018
Recognized as one of the "Women Leaders in Tech Law" by The Recorder, 2017
Pratt's Privacy & Cybersecurity Law Report