Michael Calhoon is a commercial trial lawyer with over 22 years of experience trying cases and serving as counsel on complex commercial disputes in 13 different states. Mr. Calhoon has tried cases as lead trial counsel for plaintiffs (including a 944 million Euros judgment in a breach of warranty and 10b-5 securities fraud case) and defendants (including the dismissal of a $1 billion trade secret case after four weeks of trial), for which he was twice named as American Lawyer's “Litigator of the Week” in June 2012 and February 2015.
Mr. Calhoon has extensive experience in securities litigation, energy litigation, and other complex commercial litigation involving issues and proceedings throughout the United States and internationally, including in France, the United Kingdom, Russia, Brazil and Morocco.
- Lead trial counsel in a $1 billion+ breach of warranty and Rule 10b-5 securities fraud dispute for a major media company against Vivendi S.A. and Universal Studios. The trial in the Southern District of New York ended in a favorable jury verdict and a judgment by the Court for 944 million Euros for our client. (settled for $775M in 2016).
- Lead trial counsel in a $1.37 billion international oil & gas dispute involving theft of trade secret and tortious interference for a major Russian-based natural gas company against a Texas-based independent oil & gas company. The trial in Texas state court ended in a complete dismissal of all claims by the plaintiff after four weeks of trial.
- Lead trial counsel in a $30 million breach of contract and tortious interference dispute for a publicly-traded satellite and telecommunications company against a publicly-traded satellite and aerospace company. The trial in Virginia state court ended in a take nothing judgment for our client after a favorable verdict at trial.
- Defending a subprime mortgage originator in significant “put-back” actions brought by RMBS servicer/trustee in SDNY.
- Defended former president of top pharmaceutical company in class action Rule 10b-5 action in SDNY.
- Accounting firm-represented firm as trial counsel for Rule 10b-5 securities fraud class action case alleging $1 Billion in damages, which settled for $10 Million on the eve of trial in June 2013 (U.S. Dist. Ct., S.D.N.Y.).
- Oil company-represented company in commercial cases in Delaware Chancery Court (all claims dismissed on summary judgment in $100 Million breach of contract suit involving a gas-to-fuels joint venture) and Alaska state court (settled case involving abandonment liability for an oil drilling platform).
- Media and communications company-dismissal of $1 Billion conspiracy claim brought over the collapse of a German conglomerate on forum non conveniens grounds (U.S. Dist. Ct., S.D.N.Y.).
- U.S. automotive company-take-nothing defense jury verdicts in product liability cases as trial counsel in jury trials in Texas state and federal courts with claimed damages of $1 million.
- Consumer products company-take-nothing defense verdict in federal jury trial and appeal in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit as lead trial and appellate counsel defending against a trademark claim (S.D. Tex.).
- Energy company-defense verdict in Texas state jury trial and appeal as lead trial and appellate counsel over the ad valorem tax valuation of a lignite coal mine that was reduced from $85M to $38M at trial.
- Building contractor-favorable jury verdict in a trademark case as lead trial counsel resulting in an injunction and money award against a federal trademark registrant (S.D. Tex.).
- Electronics company-trial counsel in patent infringement suit relating to mobile phone antenna technology (E.D. Tex.).
- Financial services company-conducted internal investigation arising from alleged bidding impropriety.
- Major Korean corporation-counsel in International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration arising from fraud by joint venture partners.
- U.S. land developer-favorable decision in American Arbitration Association (AAA) arbitration of a significant commercial property claim.
Awards & Community
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2020
Named "Litigator of the Week" by The American Lawyer, February 2015
Named "Litigator of the Week" by The American Lawyer, June 2012
Member of the Board of Trustees of the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia
New York Law Journal
The Texas Lawbook
The American Lawyer
The Am Law Litigation Daily
Oil & Gas Eurasia
The Dallas Morning News