Texas Lawbook, The
Jonathan Bobinger's practice focuses on corporate and securities matters. He represents public and private companies, including master limited partnerships (MLPs) and YieldCos, in mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and private placements of debt and equity securities, private equity investments and general corporate matters. Mr. Bobinger also advises clients on securities compliance issues, including Exchange Act reporting.
Prior to joining Baker Botts, Mr. Bobinger was an attorney with another law firm in New York.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) – $1.1 billion sale of data center operations and assets to Brookfield Asset Management Inc. (NYSE: BAM)
- The Southern Company (NYSE: SO) – Pending $650 million sale of the Mankato Energy Center to Xcel (NASDAQ: XEL)
- 8point3 Energy Partners (NASDAQ: CAFD) and SunPower Corporation (NASDAQ: SPWR) – $1.7 billion merger of 8point3 into a subsidiary of Capital Dynamics
- McDermott International, Inc. (NYSE: MDR) – $6 billion acquisition of Chicago Bridge & Iron Company N.V. (NYSE: CBI)
- Rockwater Energy Solutions Inc. – $1.3 billion merger with Select Energy Services Inc. (NYSE: WTTR)
- Transocean Ltd (NYSE: RIG) – $1.35 billion sale of 15 jackup rigs to Norwegian based Borr Drilling Limited
- ESCO Corporation – Sale of Ulterra Drilling Technologies L.P. to private equity firm, American Securities
- AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) – Sale of LifeShield Home Security to private equity firm, Hawk Capital Partners
- Transocean Ltd. (NYSE: RIG) – $267 million merger to acquire publicly held units in Acquisition of Transocean Partners LLC (NYSE: RIGP)
- NRG Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NRG) – Acquisition of renewable assets from SunEdison, Inc. (NYSE: SUNE)
- Halliburton Company (NYSE: HAL) – Proposed $35 billion acquisition of Baker Hughes Incorporated (NYSE: BHI)
- Counsel to a secondary live event ticket manager in its sale of equity interests
- Crius Energy, LLC – Sale of Viridian Network business to private equity firm
- Himatsingka Seide Limited – Acquisition of the outstanding minority interest in Divatex Home Fashions Inc.
- Agrifos Fertilizer L.L.C. – $158 million sale of fertilizer business to Rentech Nitrogen Partners, L.P. (NYSE: RNF)
- Arden Asset Management LLC – Acquisition of $1.3 billion Robeco-Sage fund of hedge funds business from the Robeco Group
- Emerging Sovereign Group LLC – Sale of 55% stake in investment management business to The Carlyle Group
- Sprott Inc. – C$170 million acquisition of Rule Investments, Ltd., Terra Resource Investment Management, Inc., and Resource Capital Investment Corporation
- Judlau Contracting Inc. – Sale of 50.1% to Obrascón Huarte Lain S.A
Capital Markets – Issuer Representation
- American Midstream Partners, LP (NYSE: AMID) – $300 million private placement of senior unsecured notes
- 8point3 Energy Partners LP (NASDAQ: CAFD) – $420 million initial public offering of the joint venture YieldCo between First Solar, Inc. and SunPower Corporation
- Ensco plc (NYSE: ESV) – $625 million public offering of senior notes
- Transocean Partners LLC (NYSE: RIGP) – $385 million initial public offering of common units
- Global Geophysical Services, Inc. (NYSE: GGS) – $8 million public offering of depositary shares
Capital Markets – Underwriter Representation
- GlobeLTR Energy Inc. – $115 million private placement of convertible common stock in connection with the merger of Globe Energy Services, LLC and Light Tower Rentals, Inc.
- Underwriters for Rice Midstream Partners LP (NYSE: RMP) – $412 million initial public offering of common units
- Underwriters for Athlon Energy Inc. (NYSE: ATHL) – $578 million public offering of common stock
- Underwriters for NextEra Energy Partners, LP (NYSE: NEP) – $406 million initial public offering of the first YieldCo to be structured as an MLP
- Initial Purchasers – $650 million private placement of senior notes of an E&P company with operations in the Permian Basin
- Initial Purchasers – $900 million private placement of senior notes of an E&P company with operations in the Appalachian Basin
- Underwriters for Athlon Energy (NYSE: ATHL) – $515 million public offering of common stock
- Underwriters for Rice Energy Inc. (NYSE: RICE) – $924 million initial public offering of common stock
- Underwriters for Athlon Energy Inc. (NYSE: ATHL) – $315 million initial public offering of common stock
- Initial Purchasers – $500 million private placement of senior notes of an E&P company with operations in the Permian Basin
Joint Ventures, Private Equity, PIPEs, and Venture Capital
- Transocean Ltd. (NYSE: RIG) – $500 million joint venture with European credit platform, Hayfin Capital Management LLP, for the purchase of a harsh environment offshore drilling rig as part of Seadrill Limited's global bankruptcy settlement
- SunPower Corporation – Formation and initial public offering of 8point3 Energy Partners LP, a joint venture YieldCo with First Solar, Inc.
- Agrifos Fertilizer L.L.C. – Joint venture with Unity Envirotech LLC to form Unity Fertilizer LLC
- KGS-Alpha Capital Markets LP – Launch of private equity fund and initial equity funding of approximately $100 million and additional equity financing of approximately $75 million
- Private Equity Manager – Represented a private equity manager in the formation and funding of several private equity funds and their subsequent investments in new or existing operating companies
- Brightline Ventures I, LLC – $1.85 million purchase of senior secured convertible notes, preferred stock, and warrants in Z Trim Holdings, Inc.
- Hedge fund – Purchase of common stock and warrants in Aradigm Corporation
Deal Pipeline, The
Texas Lawbook, The
SBA's New EZ Loan Forgiveness Application Makes PPP Loan Forgiveness Easier for Some Borrowers; More Businesses Become Eligible for the PPP; and Owner-Borrowers get Clarification on a Path to Full ForgivenessFirm Thought Leadership
Paycheck Protection Program Reforms Give Borrowers More Time to Use Funds and Make it Easier to Have Loans ForgivenFirm Thought Leadership
SBA and Treasury Release Regulations Regarding PPP Loan Forgiveness, Review Procedures, and Borrower and Lender ResponsibilitiesFirm Thought Leadership
SBA and Treasury Release PPP Loan Forgiveness Application; Answering Some Questions While Others RemainFirm Thought Leadership
Baker Botts Special Counsel Emil Barth and Partner Jonathan Bobinger will be presenting a webinar on October 29, 2019 on Electric and Gas Utility Mergers and Acquisitions.