“Dustin Appel works very hard to turn difficult cases around.”
The Legal 500 2020
Dustin's practice focuses on commercial litigation and international arbitration, particularly in the energy sector. Drawing on his economics and accounting background, he often works with clients and experts regarding damages modeling and other financial aspects of litigation.
Prior to law school, Dustin worked for several years in Russia and Central Asia in the freight forwarding industry providing logistics services to the energy and mining sectors. Dustin is proficient in written and spoken Russian. Dustin then entered public accounting, where he worked on audit and tax engagements for clients as varied as securities broker-dealers, construction contractors and heavy equipment lessors. He also has experience in industry accounting in the oilfield services sector. Dustin continues to maintain a license as a Certified Public Accountant.
Following graduation from law school, Dustin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Barbara J. Houser, Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Represented owner-developer of real estate project in UAE in dispute with main contractor in claims valued at over AED 5 billion
- Represented independent E&P company in dispute with joint interest holder in a concession in North Africa in LCIA arbitration proceedings
- Represented purchaser of wholesale and retail sports and leisure goods business in post-closing price adjustment dispute in DIFC-LCIA arbitration
- Represented construction contractor in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration relating to a dispute with a joint venture partner concerning MEP works for an airport and obtained recognition and enforcement of arbitral award in the DIFC Court
- Defended manufacturer of oilfield equipment in lawsuit over alleged breach of contract
- Represented majority shareholder in multi-jurisdictional litigation to regain control over investment structure spanning multiple countries
- Represented petrochemical company in international arbitration proceeding regarding proper treatment of joint venture expenses
- Defended oilfield service company in lawsuit over alleged breach of agency agreement
- Defended oilfield service company in personal injury lawsuit by former employee
- Represented international E&P company with strategic advice related to assets in West Africa and Gulf of Mexico
- Represented sovereign state in defense of claims brought by investors in arbitration under Energy Charter Treaty
- Represented securities broker in litigation to set aside arbitration award
American Bankruptcy Institute