WASHINGTON, D.C., LONDON and BRUSSELS, November 11, 2021 – Baker Botts L.L.P., a leading international energy, technology and life sciences law firm, is proud to honor military veterans within the firm and in the community at large this Veterans Day in our U.S. offices, Remembrance Day in our London office, and Armistice Day in our Brussels office.
Through a wide array of efforts and partnerships, the firm has been working year-round to serve veterans. Some of these efforts include:
- Providing pro bono counsel to The Veterans Consortium and donating all attorney fee awards back to the organization. In the past two years alone, the firm has donated more than US$100,000 – and hundreds of billable hours – to the Consortium. The firm was also a Champion Sponsor for the organization’s Pro Bono Mission Partner Awards, held in early November. The Veterans Consortium is the leading national 501(c)(3) charity providing free legal services in federal venues for veterans in need in the United States.
- Since 2016, providing pro bono counsel to the Global War on Terrorism Memorial Foundation, the entity tapped by Congress to build the National Global War on Terrorism Memorial on the National Mall in Washington.
- Providing pro bono counsel to the National Veteran Small Business Coalition, the largest non-profit trade association in the United States representing veteran- and service-disabled, veteran-owned small business in the Federal marketplace.
- The creation last November of “BB Vets,” an internal affinity group of approximately 40 attorneys and staff across the firm’s offices who served in the Armed Forces, as well as military family members. The group provides opportunities for professional and personal growth through mentorships, client engagement and community outreach, and raises awareness of the issues unique to veterans and military families.
- Co-sponsoring the inaugural “Veterans ETA” (Entrepreneurship Through Acquisition), a national symposium of veteran buyers and sellers, capital sources, service providers, business schools and supporters of veterans.
- Acting as mentors to entrepreneurs within Capital Factory’s Defense Academy. Capital Factory is home to hundreds of startups working in software, hardware and innovation. Its Defense Academy helps startups obtain funding from the U.S. Government and pursue business with the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Supporting the efforts of Bunker Labs through a strategic partnership with tech innovation hub, The Ion. Bunker Labs provides programs, and courses to help military veterans and military spouses launch and grow successful businesses and startups. Baker Botts, The Ion, and Bunker Labs are collaborating on a series of panels and networking events for veteran entrepreneurs to be rolled out in 2022.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm whose lawyers practice throughout a network of offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.