Baker Botts to Receive DV LEAP’s “Pro Bono Firm of the Year” Award
WASHINGTON, D.C., September 29, 2021 – The legal nonprofit DV LEAP is awarding Baker Botts L.L.P. its “Pro Bono Firm of the Year” award at its annual benefit on Sunday, October 10. DV LEAP, a national nonprofit providing legal appeals to survivors of domestic violence, will also recognize a total of 12 Baker Botts lawyers and paralegals, who are as follows:
- Anne Carpenter, Partner, DV Leap Board Member, and Board President-elect
- Alexandra Dapolito Dunn, Partner
- Susan Kennedy, Partner
- Jamie R. Lynn, Partner
- David Arlington, Special Counsel
- Patrick Matthews, Special Counsel
- Samantha Olson, Associate
- Zachary Stone, Associate
- Jessica Aquino, Paralegal
- David Gerkin, Paralegal
- Brian Lynch, Paralegal
- John Mitchell, Paralegal
Baker Botts has helped DV LEAP with a variety of pro bono matters:
- Partners Alexandra Dunn and Jamie Lynn, and associate Samantha Olson worked with DV LEAP to evaluate a potential appeal of a protective order wrongly entered against a client. Finding strong support for appeal, they proceeded to represent the client in her appeal, drafting and filing a brief and reply, challenging the order, in Massachusetts Appeals Court.
- Partner Susan Kennedy and associate Zachary Stone worked with DVLEAP for a client that had previously secured a protective order against her ex-boyfriend from a Texas District Court.When the ex-boyfriend appealed, the Baker Botts team provided representation in the Dallas Court of Appeals.
- Since March, special counsel David Arlington and DTS paralegal manager David Gerkin have been leading a team of paralegals in aiding DV LEAP with managing their new application intake processing. The paralegal team, including Jessica Aquino, John Mitchell and Brian Lynch, has been reviewing applications, tracking corresponding data and handling other related projects. This assistance allows the attorneys and staff at DV LEAP to be more streamlined and efficiently use their available limited employee resources.
- Special counsel Patrick Matthews has assisted DV LEAP with review of lease agreements and sublease negotiation.
As a DV LEAP board member, Ms. Carpenter has coordinated, facilitated and worked to staff DVLEAP pro bono matters. Before joining the board of directors in early 2020, she also served on the host committee for DV LEAP’s Annual Awards celebration and worked on appeals cases early in her legal career.
DV LEAP is a national leader in appellate advocacy on behalf of survivors. In partnership with its national network of pro bono law firms, the nonprofit represents survivors in appeals at the state and federal level including the Supreme Court. Its appellate work holds trials courts accountable to the fairness embodied in the law.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm whose lawyers practice throughout a network of offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.