HOUSTON, June 15, 2021 – The Intellectual Property practice of Baker Botts L.L.P., a leading international law firm, earned high marks in the Legal 500 US 2021 and Chambers USA rankings. These results underscore our superb reputation helping clients litigate IP disputes through trial and final appeal, procure patents and other IP rights, and handle all manners of IP transactions.
Legal 500 USA
The Intellectual Property Practice maintained its rankings in the following areas:
- Patents: Litigation (Full Coverage)
- Patents: Litigation (International Trade Commission)
- Patents: Licensing
- Patents: Prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Trade Secrets (Litigation and Non-Contentious Matters)
Legal 500 described the practice as “one of the few general practice firms to offer a seasoned team of patent prosecution and litigation specialists.” Several partners earned high rankings. Partners Lisa Kattan and Hogene Choi were named as Leading Lawyers for the Patents: Litigation (International Trade Commission) and Patents: Prosecution (Including reexamination and post-grant proceedings) categories, respectively. Partner Katharine Burke was named a Next Generation Partner in the Trade Secrets (Litigation and non-contentious matters) category.
Our Intellectual Property lawyers and practices were recognized by Chambers USA Nationwide, at the International Trade Commission, and in California, New York and Texas.
Chambers USA said the practice has a “Premier patent litigation team that complements substantial trial expertise with experience in administrative proceedings before the USPTO.” The publication also noted that “Prosecution and licensing are also key areas of focus. [The practice has a] market-leading breadth of expertise, and a deep bench of attorneys with comprehensive specialties.”
Clients who were quoted by Chambers USA said our practice has “one of the most capable IP teams in the business,” describing it as “effective, bright, easy to work with and always [putting] the client's interests first.”
Many of our partners made the rankings at the national and state levels. They are:
- Roger Fulghum – Intellectual Property – Texas
- Hopkins Guy III – Intellectual Property: Patent – California
- Peter Kang – Intellectual Property USA: Foreign Expertise in South Korea
- Lisa Kattan – International Trade: Intellectual Property (section 337)
- Douglas Kubehl – Intellectual Property – Texas
- Robert Maier – Intellectual Property: Patent – New York
- Kevin Meek – Intellectual Property – Texas
- Kurt Pankratz – Intellectual Property – Texas
- Christa Brown-Sanford – Intellectual Property – Texas
- Robert Scheinfeld – Intellectual Property: Patent – New York
- Bart Showalter – Intellectual Property –Texas & National
- Jennifer Tempesta – Intellectual Property: Patent – New York
Baker Botts provides a large team of focused and technically trained IP lawyers who work with our technology, life sciences, and energy clients to provide creative solutions for their toughest challenges. With over 180 attorneys and patent professionals dedicated to IP from coast to coast and across the globe, Baker Botts has one of the largest and most highly regarded IP practices of any general practice law firm. Its lawyers collectively hold over 240 scientific and technical degrees, including over 20 PhDs.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm of approximately 725 lawyers practicing throughout a network of 13 offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the technology, energy, and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.