In common with many other areas affected by the UK’s withdrawal from the EU in March 2019, the impact of Brexit on competition policy depends on what kind of trade model is adopted by the UK for its future relations between the UK and the EU.View our Brexit Video
Catriona Hatton - Brexit and its impact on EU and UK Competition Policy
“At this stage, it is still too early to tell which trade model will be agreed upon by the UK and the EU27 at the end of the Brexit, however we have been working on the assumption that a hard Brexit scenario will be followed and the UK will leave the single market, and not join countries like Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway as a member of the European Economic Area (EEA). If this scenario occurs, Brexit could change the way that competition law is applied, giving rise to parallel enforcement by London and Brussels, at greater cost for business and with potential delays in investigations," said Catriona Hatton, the Partner-in-Charge of the firm's Brussels office and Co-Chair of the firm's Global Antitrust Practice.
Our Global Antitrust partners are available to comment on:
- Brexit’s impact on substantive law
- How the enforcement role of the EU Commission and the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) will be profoundly reshaped
- Potential changes in distribution and licensing arrangements which could facilitate isolating the UK from price competition from parallel imports from the EU
- The rising number of parallel reviews of mergers EU/UK
- The increased risk of parallel investigations of cartels and unilateral conduct
- Pressing UK and EU jurisdictional issues that must be addressed to ensure legal certainty
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm of approximately 650 lawyers practicing throughout a network of offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology, and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.