Following a keynote speech by Maria Eugenia Martins de Ribeiro, Former Judge, General Court of the EU, Luxembourg, the lively panel discussions covered topics ranging from merger controls and gun jumping to company investigations and dawn raids, and the Intel judgment. The expert panelists foresaw that transatlantic merger developments under the Trump Administration are likely to place a stronger focus on innovation and IP than the previous Administration, and also agreed that technological/IP advances will play a greater role in upcoming global antitrust cases.
“We’ve already received excellent feedback from this year’s participants for bringing together such a seasoned panel of experts to examine the most pertinent transatlantic antitrust trends, and we look forward to providing an equally stimulating debate next year,” said Catriona Hatton, Partner in Charge of the firm's Brussels office and Co-Chair of the firm's global Antitrust Practice.
Notable speakers included:
• Cyril Ritter - Case officer, DG COMP, Brussels
• Ariel Ezrachi - Professor, Oxford
• Theon Van Dijk - Director, E.CA Economics
• Hanna Anttilainen - Head of Unit Mergers, Energy and Environment, DG COMP, Brussels
• Philipp von Huelsen - Head of Legal and Compliance, European Regional Operating Unit, Boehringer Ingelheim, Amsterdam
• Raphaël De Coninck, CRA, London/Brussels
• Nicholas Khan - Legal adviser, Legal service Competition, European Commission, Brussels
• Hanns Peter Nehl - Legal Secretary, General Court of the EU, Luxembourg
The Baker Botts Antitrust team was led by Catriona Hatton (Partner-in-Charge, Brussels) and supported by Georg Berrisch (Partner, Brussels), Paul Lugard (Partner, Brussels), John Taladay (Partner, Washington) and Stephen Weissman (Partner, Washington).
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm of approximately 700 lawyers practicing throughout a network of 13 offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the technology, energy, and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.