From drill bit to burner tip, Baker Botts offers its LNG industry clients integrated service and in depth capabilities across the value chain. This breadth and depth of experience enables us to help our clients launch some of the LNG industry's most innovative projects.
The firm's LNG Practice began in the early 1970s through our involvement in developing the Bontang LNG project in East Kalimantan, Indonesia. It has grown to include dozens of projects in the United States and around the world, including several benchmark-setting projects, such as the first LNG project in South America, the first LNG project in Equatorial Guinea, the first project to deliver LNG to the West coast of North America and the first U.S. import terminal selling LNG competitively in U.S. markets. We have also advised clients in securing the first LNG supply into new terminals in Brazil, China, India, the Dominican Republic and the United States, and have been in the forefront of the development of numerous new regasification facilities, including the first floating terminals.
"They have an excellent team dedicated to LNG and are great at working collaboratively."
Chambers Global 2017
Baker Botts LNG lawyers have:
- Advised on more than 120 significant LNG transactions in more than 30 countries
- Assisted clients as project counsel in developing five major greenfield liquefaction projects in just the last five years
- Represented developers in a myriad of LNG receiving terminals regarding project structuring, financing, commercial, environmental, tax and regulatory matters and inter-customer agreements
- Secured permits from the U.S. DOE, FERC, U.S. Coast Guard and other federal and state regulatory agencies for terminal construction and expansions and LNG shipping
- Worked with financial institutions and commodity traders to structure investments in LNG projects and develop innovative marketing and trading models for LNG
- Advised clients on the purchase, construction and chartering of over 70 new-build LNG tankers, including the first floating LNG storage and regasification vessels, one of the first proposed floating liquefaction vessels, and the first fleet of LNG super tankers, Qatar’s Q-Flex and Q-Max ships, with onboard reliquefaction and slow-speed diesel propulsion
- Provided leadership to a 200-member industry-wide effort to draft a model LNG Master Sales Agreement (MSA) necessary to promote development of a secondary market for LNG
Baker Botts is widely recognized for its integrated team of experienced LNG lawyers who are attuned to changing market conditions and efficiently able to manage the complex transactions inherent in major LNG projects. Chambers USA 2017 states that "The LNG team is five star across the board in terms of client service, expertise, availability and drafting as well as commercial and legal acumen."