Baker Botts in partnership with Fingleton are delighted to invite you to our webinar on the design of a new system of subsidy control for the UK on Monday 15 March at 5pm (GMT).
As part of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement with the EU, the UK is committed to introducing an independent system of subsidy control. This creates an opportunity for the UK to develop a more flexible system of subsidy control, but raises a number of important challenges. The UK government is currently consulting on the design of such a regime and any system will have significant implications for business as well as the UK’s internal market.
The audience will hear from expert speakers:
John Fingleton, the CEO of Fingleton and the former Chief Executive of the Office of Fair Trading in the UK
Chris Wilford, Head of Financial Services Policy at the Confederation of British Industry and who is one of the organisation’s senior leads on subsidies and state aid
Leigh Hancher, Senior advisor at Baker Botts and a leading state aid practitioner
George Peretz QC of Monckton Chambers and a pre-eminent barrister on state aid matters
The webinar will be chaired by Matthew Levitt, Partner at Baker Botts.
Our panel of speakers will discuss:
- Critical elements from the UK government consultation (such as a new principles-based system, an ex-post regime, administrative enforcement)
- Lessons that a future UK subsidy control system can learn from the EU State aid regime (new plans after the ‘fitness check’ exercise)
- How the UK approach should be designed to allow state support, while minimising the risks associated with a new system of subsidy control
- What impact different approaches could have on business’ and what an independent UK subsidy regime could mean for business
- What should be the role of the independent authority and who should take on the role
- The expected legal challenges posed by a new subsidy regime and the likely role of the UK courts
To register for the event please click here. When registering please select 'Baker Botts Invitation' on how you heard about this event.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm of approximately 700 lawyers practicing throughout a network of 13 offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the technology, energy, and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.