Even before disruptions attributable to the COVID-19 pandemic, adverse changes in the energy industry compelled companies to adapt in a variety of ways. Some have converted to an “asset light” model to better respond to changes in commodity price dynamics, others proposed to pivot from hydrocarbon production in a much more significant way. More than six months into the pandemic and with an increase in oil prices a medium term hope for producers, how should companies think about managing their businesses in this environment?
On Thursday, November 12, 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. CT, our Baker Botts corporate partners discussed the policy and legal aspects related to this question, including:
- Prospective developments in the energy industry in the next 12-18 months, including expectations for changes in demand and opportunities for consolidation
- Implementing capital solutions in a challenging financing environment
- Insights from recent restructurings in the industry and suggestions for companies evaluating liability management options
- “Going private” as an alternative to remaining publicly-listed
- Anticipated impact of U.S. election results
The panel featured:
- Michael Webber, the Josey Centennial Professor in Energy Resources at the University of Texas at Austin and also Chief Science and Technology Officer at ENGIE, a global energy & infrastructure services company
- Peter Bowden, Managing Director and Global Head of Energy Investment Banking at Jefferies
- From Baker Botts, Jim Marshall (Corporate, as moderator), Jason Rocha (Corporate) and Robin Spigel (Financial Restructuring)
To view the on demand version of the webinar, click here.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm of approximately 725 lawyers practicing throughout a network of 13 offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy and technology sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.