The crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic led to a rapid response from the European Commission through changes to its State aid framework.
An unprecedented amount of state support has since been provided by national governments within a short period of time, with over €2.6 trillion of aid provided by national governments to companies affected by the COVID-19 pandemic since March 2020. However, there are significant differences in the amount, and availability, of aid provided by member states, which has led to concerns about the impact of the different policy responses on the EU market.
Join Baker Botts LLP and Oxera Consulting LLP at 11.00-12.30 CEST on 15 September 2020 to discuss the implications of the crisis for State aid policy. Karl Soukup, Director in charge of State aid General Scrutiny and Enforcement at DG Competition, will provide the keynote address, focusing on the latest State aid developments from the European Commission.
In the webinar, we will also examine the implications of the vast amount of aid that has been provided during the crisis for competition, whether the crisis has highlighted any limits to State aid policy, and how these could be overcome going forwards. In addition, we will discuss the implications of the Commission’s crisis response for the EU’s wider policy objectives, such as its environmental objectives.
- Karl Soukup, Director in charge of State aid General Scrutiny and Enforcement at DG Competition
- Bastiaan De Bruijne, General Counsel at Airports Council International (ACI) EUROPE
- Brian Byrne, Counsel at Baker Botts LLP
- Nicole Robins, Partner at Oxera Consulting LLP
- Sir Philip Lowe, Oxera Partner and previously Director-General for Competition at the European Commission
- Professor Leigh Hancher, Senior Advisor to Baker Botts LLP and Professor of European Law at the University of Tilburg
Please note that the webinar will be recorded and will be accessible afterwards to everyone who registers.
ABOUT BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
Baker Botts is an international law firm whose lawyers practice throughout a network of offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology and life sciences sectors. Since 1840, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit bakerbotts.com.