Gavin Villareal represents clients in a wide variety of complex business-related disputes in state and federal trial and appellate courts, as well as before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB). He has significant first-chair experience litigating claims alleging professional negligence, misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, and financial services fraud.
Before law school, Mr. Villareal worked for five years at the Texas General Land Office as special assistant to Texas Land Commissioner Garry Mauro. During law school, he served as an intern to Justice Rose Spector of the Supreme Court of Texas.
Mr. Villareal has held leadership positions in numerous professional and community organizations. He is past chair of the ABA's Professional Liability Litigation Committee for the ABA's Section of Litigation. He has held leadership roles with the Austin Bar Foundation, the Austin Bar Association, the Austin Young Lawyers Association, the Hispanic Bar Association of Austin, the HBAA Charitable Foundation, the Mexican-American Bar Association of Texas, Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas, the Mexic-Arte Museum and the Harvard Club of Austin.
- International silicone and silicone-based technology manufacturer – lawsuit alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and business processes
- Texas computer supply manufacturer – lawsuit alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and business opportunities
- International semiconductor research consortium – lawsuit alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and business disparagement
- National prepaid debit card provider – multiple lawsuits and state-court appeal alleging breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets and business processes
- Big Four accounting firm – representation before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in a matter relating to audit services for an oilfield services company.
- Big Four accounting firm – complex, multiforum litigation relating to audit services performed for an international investment company, a matter that involved a state court class action lawsuit, multiple interlocutory state court appeals, an adversary proceeding in U.S. Bankruptcy Court and a suit in the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands
- Big Four accounting firm – arbitration involving audit and consulting services performed for a regional healthcare organization
- Big Four accounting firm – arbitration involving audit services performed for an office products wholesaler
- Big Four accounting firm – lawsuit and subsequent appeal involving defamation claims arising from a consulting engagement for a municipal entity
- International law firm – lawsuit involving claims arising from a putative collateralized loan obligation transaction
- National law firm – matter involving alleged unauthorized practice of law in Texas
- National financial services advisory firm – lawsuit arising from disqualification under a municipal ordinance
- Major semiconductor manufacturer – numerous contractor and premises liability lawsuits
- Eighth Circuit appeal involving applicability of Freedom of Information Act exemption for U.S. Department of Agriculture food-assistance program sales data
- Fifth Circuit appeal involving the reliability of medical expert testimony in a medical malpractice lawsuit
- Supreme Court of Texas and intermediary state court of appeals matters involving statutory construction and rulemaking authority of state agency
- Supreme Court of Texas appeal involving supervision and control issues in the context of a contractor personal injury lawsuit
- Supreme Court of Texas appeal involving allegedly improper judicial remarks in the context of an employment discrimination lawsuit
- Numerous pro bono representations of indigent clients in family law cases through Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas
Awards & Community
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2007-2009
Recipient of the Spirit of Community Award from the Chicano/Hispanic Law Students' Association of The University of Texas School of Law, 2008; Outstanding Alumnus Award, 2015
Austin Under 40 Finalist (Legal), 2007; Finalist (Mentor of the Year), 2015
Publications, Speeches & Presentations