Gavin Villareal represents clients in a wide variety of complex business-related disputes in state and federal court, with an emphasis on professional liability litigation. He also represents clients before the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. He is immediate past chair of the ABA’s Professional Liability Litigation Committee for the ABA’s Section of Litigation.
Before law school, Mr. Villareal worked for five years at the Texas General Land Office as special assistant to Texas Land Commissioner Garry Mauro. During law school, he served as an intern to Justice Rose Spector of the Supreme Court of Texas.
Mr. Villareal has held leadership positions in numerous professional and community organizations, including the American Bar Association, the Austin Bar Association, the Austin Bar Foundation, the Austin Young Lawyers Association, the Hispanic Bar Association of Austin, the HBAA Charitable Foundation, the Mexican-American Bar Association of Texas, Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas, the Mexic-Arte Museum and the Harvard Club of Austin. He serves as a member of the firmwide diversity committee.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “Five Tips for Choosing the Right Accounting Expert,” Texas Lawyer, August 2014
- “Five Lessons Learned in the Jury Pool,” Texas Lawyer, March 2014
- “SOX Shields Auditor Responses but Not Underlying Documents,” American Bar Association Professional Liability Litigation Committee website, October 2012
- “New York Court Rejects Nonpecuniary Damages for Legal Malpractice,” American Bar Association Professional Liability Litigation Committee website, June 2012
- “Recent Case Law Developments in Lawyer Professional Liability,” American Bar Association Standing Committee on Lawyers’ Professional Liability, September 2011 (with Edward S. Cheng and Carey L. Menasco)
Speeches and Presentations
- “Legal Malpractice Case Law Update,” American Bar Association Fall 2011 National Legal Malpractice Conference, San Francisco, September 2011
- “Law as a Career: Preparing the Way,” The Color of Justice Program, The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, November 2006
- “Issues in Accountant Liability Litigation Arising From Business Failures,” Commercial Litigation Seminar, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Dallas, October 2006 (with Rod Phelan)