Travis Thomas has extensive experience in the development, management and monetization of patent portfolios for both large, established public companies and small start-up ventures. He also has extensive experience in pre-litigation disputes involving patents; patent and trade-secret litigation; the evaluation of patent portfolios owned by potential acquisition targets; and the negotiation of technology licenses and other agreements involving a wide variety of intellectual property rights.
Mr. Thomas has worked on patent and trade secret disputes and drafted and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications covering switching and routing systems, optical communication systems, wireless and mobile communication systems, speech encoding, passive RF communications systems, packet and circuit switched networks, IP telephony, analog and digital circuit design and fabrication, circuit verification, and SRAM design. His technological experience also encompasses RFID systems, satellite communications and guidance systems, computational chemistry, web search algorithms and engines, software supporting web applications, e-commerce, database management, workflow management, supply-chain planning and sensor networks.
- Telecommunications service provider – patent infringement suit brought by nonpracticing entity
- Wireless telecommunications infrastructure provider – complex trade secret and breach of contract suit that resulted in settlement
- Telecommunications service provider – complex patent infringement suit brought by competitor that resulted in settlement
- Telecommunications equipment provider – advised on valuation of large patent portfolios for sale
- Telecommunications equipment provider – ran numerous patent mining sessions and managed preparation and prosecution of resulting patent applications
- Telecommunications equipment provider – worked on extended secondment with responsibilities including directly advising and supporting several business units and technology groups on the development and management of their patent portfolios
- Multinational computer, electronics, and network equipment provider – ran clearance studies for several products in development representing substantial investments by the company
- Multinational computer, electronics, and network equipment provider – ran numerous patent mining sessions and managed preparation and prosecution of resulting patent applications
Awards & Community
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Baker Botts lawyers in a joint presentation with Neil Joseph of Stack Lighting, addressing issues involved in technologies related to the Internet of Things, including loT use cases, interoperability and data privacy.
The ACC Annual Meeting offers the best value in corporate legal education.