Travis Thomas is the Chair of the Intellectual Property Department in the firm's Palo Alto and San Francisco offices and serves on the firm's Executive Committee. Mr. Thomas's practice covers all aspects of intellectual property, focusing on the development, management, and monetization of patent portfolios for both large, established companies and small start-up ventures. He also has extensive experience in technology transactions, including patent, technology, and software licensing, open source, IP terms and related due diligence in M&A, and patent-litigation settlements.
Mr. Thomas's technical background and experience in those practice areas covers a wide variety of technologies, including artificial intelligence, machine learning, computer vision, data centers and cloud-based systems, big data, mobile software applications, gaming, digital media and entertainment, and social media. It also extends to smart homes, autonomous vehicles, telecommunications, mobile devices, wearable technology, sensor networks and the Internet of Things, biotelemetry, semiconductors, and high-performance computing.
- Telecommunications service provider – patent infringement suit brought by nonpracticing entity
- Wireless telecommunications infrastructure provider – complex trade secret and breach of contract suit that resulted in settlement
- Telecommunications service provider – complex patent infringement suit brought by competitor that resulted in settlement
- Telecommunications equipment provider – advised on valuation of large patent portfolios for sale
- Telecommunications equipment provider – ran numerous patent mining sessions and managed preparation and prosecution of resulting patent applications
- Telecommunications equipment provider – worked on extended secondment with responsibilities including directly advising and supporting several business units and technology groups on the development and management of their patent portfolios
- Multinational computer, electronics, and network equipment provider – ran clearance studies for several products in development representing substantial investments by the company
- Multinational computer, electronics, and network equipment provider – ran numerous patent mining sessions and managed preparation and prosecution of resulting patent applications
Awards & Community
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
The ACC Annual Meeting offers the best value in corporate legal education.
Baker Botts lawyers in a joint presentation with Neil Joseph of Stack Lighting, addressing issues involved in technologies related to the Internet of Things, including loT use cases, interoperability and data privacy.