Karina Smith represents clients in a diverse range of complex commercial litigation, including patent and trade secret disputes, contract and unfair business practices disputes, and employment discrimination disputes. Ms. Smith has experience in state and federal court, including oral advocacy experience at both the trial and appellate levels, and has experience defending clients in class action cases. She has assisted clients in settling disputes prior to litigation, in litigation, in arbitration, and at mediation. Ms. Smith approaches clients' issues with creativity and pragmatism to work toward solutions best-suited to clients' interests and needs.
Ms. Smith has represented clients from a broad range of fields, including big data, banking, telecommunications, search engine optimization, waste disposal, and the pharmaceutical industry.
Ms. Smith serves in leadership roles on the Employment Committee and the Pro Bono Committee for the Palo Alto office. She was a founding member of the office's Pro Bono Committee and has been instrumental in the office's pro bono engagement.
During her time at UC Berkeley School of Law, Ms. Smith served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Lucy H. Koh in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
- BrightEdge Technologies, Inc. v. Martinez, et al., 113-CV-256794 (Cal. Sup. Ct. Santa Clara)—representing BrightEdge in trade secret misappropriation case against its competitor and former employees, including integral involvement in discovery, motion practice, and case strategy.
- BrightEdge Technologies, Inc. v. Searchmetrics, GmbH et al., 3:14-cv-1009-WHO (N.D. Cal.)—representing BrightEdge in patent litigation against its competitor, including integral involvement in pre-litigation analysis, discovery strategy, and motion practice.
- Eagle Canyon Owners' Association v. Waste Management, Inc. and Waste Management of California, Inc., 3:16-cv-02811-LAB-WVG (S. D. Cal.)—assisted in getting class action case dismissed at pleadings stage.
- Intellectual Ventures I LLC v. AT&T Mobility LLC et al., 1:12-cv-00193-LPS (D. Del.); Intellectual Ventures II v. AT&T Mobility LLC et al., 13-cv-1631-LPS (D. Del.)—lead associate managing sizeable damages case for AT&T Mobility in consolidated patent cases with more than 15 asserted patents related to messaging, wireless voice infrastructure, Wi-Fi, and directory assistance.
- Fields v. Tucker, et al., No. 13-16659 (9th Cir.)—represented pro bono appellant-prisoner asserting violation of his Eighth Amendment rights under 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
- MD Insider, Inc. v. Brosso, 15-cv-2395-DMS-NLS (S.D. Cal.)—lead associate representing MD Insider in case against a former executive for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Meritage Data Inc. v. MD Insider, Inc., 15-cv-3610-KPF (S.D.N.Y)—lead associate representing MD Insider in contract dispute ordered to arbitration.
- Lenz v. Salem Partners, LLC et al., CGC-15-548546 (Cal. Sup. Ct. San Francisco)—lead associate managing Salem Partner's defense against employment discrimination, wrongful termination, and trade secret misappropriation claims.
- TracBeam, LLC v. AT&T Inc. et al., 6:11-cv-00096-LED (E.D. Tex.)—integral involvement from discovery to pre-trial representing AT&T in a location-based services patent case, which settled on the eve of trial.
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Association of Corporate Counsel CLE