Jennifer Smith is a partner with over twenty-five years’ experience in the resolution of international disputes. Her primary focus is complex international arbitration and international law, with substantial experience in the resolution of cross-border disputes arising out of international contracts, as counsel and arbitrator. She is qualified to practice law in the United States and in England and Wales. She has represented both claimants and respondents in ad hoc arbitrations and UNCITRAL Rules proceedings as well as arbitrations conducted under the auspices of many arbitral institutes, including the PCA, the ICC, the SCC, the LCIA, the AAA, GAFTA, SCMA and the ICDR.
Jennifer has significant experience in many industry sectors, including energy, petrochemicals, shipping and technology.
Following graduation from law school, Ms. Smith served as a law clerk to the Honorable Lynn N. Hughes of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- Speaker, “The Ethics of Ex Parte Contacts with Governmental Agencies,” February 2014
- “The Importance of a Strong Force Majeure Clause in an Unstable Geopolitical Environment,” The Journal of World Energy Law & Business Advance Access, March 15, 2015
- Speaker, ICDR Miami International Arbitration Conference: International Dispute Resolution in the Americas, January, 2015
- Co-Chair, 2nd Annual ITA-IEL Joint Conference on International Energy Arbitration, January 2015
- Panelist, Second Annual Houston Legal Market conference, December 2014
- Moderator, “Oil and Gas Investment Arbitrations: Protecting Oil and Gas Projects against Political Risk,” October 2014
- Speaker, ICCA Congress 2014 (XXII), April 2014
- Speaker, Women In Leadership Conference, A View From The Top: “Global Business,” February 2014
- Panelist, Argyle Chief Legal Officer Leadership Forum: “The General Counsel as a Strategic Business Partner,” October 2013
- Co-chair, CBAr-ITA-CCBC Joint Conference on International Arbitration, São Paulo, Brazil, September 2013
- Panelist, 2013 American Inns of Court National Symposium: “Advocacy in Specialized Forums”
- Faculty Member for Women in Law Institute 2013: “Communicate with Impact Workshop”
- Co-chair, 23rd Annual ITA Workshop, June 2012
- Speaker and Faculty Member, 22nd Annual ITA Workshop, June 2011
- “Introduction,” The American Review of International Arbitration 2010 Volume 21 Nos. 1-4, 2011
- Moderator, “Getting Help: International Arbitration Resources When You Are Uncertain or Need Some Help,” Conference of International Association of Procedural Law, Toronto, June 2009
- “Planning For and Trying the International Dispute: The Yemeni File,” State Bar of Texas International Law Section Annual Institute, San Antonio, March 2008
- “International Arbitration: What Is It? How Do You Get In? How Do You Get Out?” 16th Annual Advanced Civil Trial Law Conference, South Texas College of Law, Houston, February 2008
- “Texas Republic Oil Company (South America) Inc. vs. Repùblica Socialista de Playas Hermosas: A Hypothetical Arbitration.” 58th Annual Oil and Gas Law Conference, Houston, February 2007
- “Winning in Commercial Arbitration: Selecting the Right Forum,” Texas General Counsel Forum, Corporate Counsel Conference, Dallas, November 2000