Robert Scheinfeld is a “celebrated patent trial lawyer.”
Chambers USA 2015
Robert Scheinfeld is a first chair patent trial attorney with over thirty-four years of experience. Mr. Scheinfeld's litigation and trial representations have received numerous favorable published and unpublished district court, International Trade Commission (ITC), and Federal Circuit decisions. He also has significant experience advising on post-grant petitions and trials before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and overseeing the procurement of several extensive patent portfolios. Mr. Scheinfeld is the partner in charge of our New York office and served on the firm's Executive Committee from 2008-2014; he also is the head of New York's Intellectual Property Section and has been since 2003.
Robert Scheinfeld is a "smart lawyer" whose "high-level communication skills" make him a valuable asset for those engaged in complex patent and trade secret litigation. He is commended for his experience working across a broad range of IP issues.
Chambers USA 2017
Mr. Scheinfeld's technical experience is diverse and his representations involve a broad range of fields in the high technology industry, including semiconductors, electronics, digital cameras, LCDs, FOTA (firmware-over-the-air), cryptography, telecommunications, payment systems, including smart and RF cards, electronic commerce, software, and storage systems including flash memory and magnetic media.
From 1995 to 2017, Mr. Scheinfeld was the bimonthly patent and trademark columnist for the New York Law Journal. He has published over 100 patent and trademark-related articles addressing the current hot topics of the day. From 1991 to 1997, Mr. Scheinfeld also taught patent law as an adjunct professor of law in New York City.
Mr. Scheinfeld is also a member of the Litigation Counsel of America.
- Lead Trial Counsel for Fujifilm Corporation and Fujifilm Recording Media in a series of litigations and proceedings against Sony Corporation and affiliates, at the International Trade Commission, in district court, and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, including but not limited to the following matters: In the Matter of Certain Magnetic Data Storage Tapes and Cartridges Containing the Same (International Trade Commission Investigation Nos. 337-TA-1012, 1036, 1058 and 1076)
- For an international financial services company - long-standing and complete range of representations, including patent litigations as lead trial counsel in district courts across the country and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board involving payment processing systems, electronic commerce, security encryption techniques, and RFID, among many other innovations (see, for instance, 563 F.3d 1378 (Fed. Cir. 2009)); representation as amicus curiae in the landmark State Street Bank business methods patent case (47USPQ2d 1596)
- For an international consumer and imaging products company - representation as lead trial counsel in numerous patent lawsuits over an extended period of time, involving patents variously directed to autofocus, autoflash, semiconductors, camcorders, flash memory and digital cameras
- For a worldwide conglomerate delivering varied products and services ranging from healthcare to power systems to technology and energy solutions - representation in patent procurement, maintaining a large patent portfolio, and as lead trial counsel involving patents and products across industries
- For a start-up - lead trial counsel resulting in a successful appeal published at 582 F.3d 1341 (2009), culminating in a multi-million dollar settlement stemming from patent infringement and misappropriation related to systems and methods for verifying authenticity using unique encryption techniques
- For a data analytics company - development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio directed to computer systems, software and methodologies related to life sciences information services
- Intellectual property protection, enforcement, or procurement for an eclectic group of clients leading to other published opinions including 32 USPQ2d 1479 (Fed. Cir. 1994), 31 USPQ2d 1062 (Fed. Cir. 1994), 18 USPQ2d 1807 (E.D.Pa. 1991), 15 USPQ2d 1076 (Fed. Cir. 1990)
Awards & Community
Named a "Client Service All-Star" by BTI Consulting Group's Client Service All-Stars, 2016
Listed in Chambers USA, 2004-2018, Chambers Global, 2004-2018
Named an "IP Star" by Managing Intellectual Property, 2016 & 2017
Recognized in Intellectual Asset Management's IAM Patent 1000 for Transactions and Litigation, 2016
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.), 2006-2017
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013 & 2014
Recognized as a New York Metro Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters), 2006-2016
Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Corporate Counsel, 2008-2016
Recognized as a "Best Lawyer" in Corporate Counsel's Annual Guide to Intellectual Property, 2011
Named one of the "Best Lawyers in New York" by New York Magazine, 2006-2015
Recipient, Community Spirit Award, 2008, New Rochelle Fund for Educational Excellence
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
New York Law Journal
New York Law Journal
New York Law Journal