Robert Scheinfeld is a "smart lawyer" whose "high-level communication skills" make him a valuable asset for those engaged in complex patent and trade secret litigation. He is commended for his experience working across a broad range of IP issues.
Chambers USA 2017
Robert Scheinfeld is the partner in charge of our New York office and served on the firm's Executive Committee from 2008-2014; he also is the head of New York's Intellectual Property Section and has been since 2003. For over thirty-three years, Mr. Scheinfeld has practiced intellectual property law and litigation almost exclusively. Mr. Scheinfeld's litigation and trial representations have resulted in numerous favorable published and unpublished district court and Federal Circuit decisions. He also has significant experience advising on post-grant petitions and trials before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Mr. Scheinfeld has assisted with the procurement of extensive patent portfolios and representation of U.S. and international companies as plaintiffs and defendants in patent, copyright and trade secret misappropriation disputes and lawsuits across the country.
Robert Scheinfeld is a “celebrated patent trial lawyer" and is "attentive, experienced and a very good litigator.”
Chambers USA 2015
Mr. Scheinfeld's technical experience is diverse and his representations involve a broad range of fields in the high technology industry, including semiconductors, electronics, digital cameras, LCDs, FOTA (firmware-over-the-air), cryptography, telecommunications, payment systems, including smart and RF cards, electronic commerce, software, and storage systems including flash memory.
Since 1995, Mr. Scheinfeld has been the bimonthly patent and trademark columnist for the New York Law Journal, and has published over 100 patent and trademark-related articles addressing the current hot topics of the day.
From 1991 to 1997, Mr. Scheinfeld also taught patent law as an adjunct professor of law in New York City. He is a frequent speaker on patent-related topics ranging from opinions of counsel in patent cases to business method patents.
Mr. Scheinfeld is also a member of the Litigation Counsel of America.
- For an international financial services company - long-standing and complete range of representations, including patent litigations as lead trial counsel in district courts across the country and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board involving payment processing systems, electronic commerce, security encryption techniques, and RFID, among many other innovations (see, for instance, 563 F.3d 1378 (Fed. Cir. 2009)); representation as amicus curiae in the landmark State Street Bank business methods patent case (47USPQ2d 1596)
- For an international consumer and imaging products company - representation as lead trial counsel in numerous patent lawsuits over an extended period of time, involving patents variously directed to autofocus, autoflash, semiconductors, camcorders, flash memory and digital cameras
- For a worldwide conglomerate delivering varied products and services ranging from healthcare to power systems to technology and energy solutions - representation in patent procurement, maintaining a large patent portfolio, and as lead trial counsel involving patents and products across industries
- For a start-up - lead trial counsel resulting in a successful appeal published at 582 F.3d 1341 (2009), culminating in a multi-million dollar settlement stemming from patent infringement and misappropriation related to systems and methods for verifying authenticity using unique encryption techniques
- For a data analytics company - development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio directed to computer systems, software and methodologies related to life sciences information services
- Intellectual property protection, enforcement, or procurement for an eclectic group of clients leading to other published opinions including 32 USPQ2d 1479 (Fed. Cir. 1994), 31 USPQ2d 1062 (Fed. Cir. 1994), 18 USPQ2d 1807 (E.D.Pa. 1991), 15 USPQ2d 1076 (Fed. Cir. 1990)
- In the Matter of Certain Magnetic Data Storage Tapes and Cartridges Containing the Same (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1012) – Representation of Fujifilm in ITC Investigation of Sony's infringement of a number of Fujifilm patents related to magnetic tape data storage technologies
- In the Matter of Certain Magnetic Tape Cartridges and Components Thereof (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1036) – Representation of Fujifilm in ITC Investigation filed by Sony related to magnetic tape data storage technologies
- In the Matter of Certain Magnetic Tape Cartridges and Components Thereof (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1058) – Representation of Fujifilm in ITC Investigation filed by Sony related to magnetic tape data storage technologies
Awards & Community
Named a "Client Service All-Star" by BTI Consulting Group's Client Service All-Stars, 2016
Listed in Chambers USA, 2004-2017, Chambers Global, 2004-2017
Named an "IP Star" by Managing Intellectual Property, 2016 & 2017
Recognized in Intellectual Asset Managment's IAM Patent 1000 for Transactions and Litigation, 2016
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.), 2006-2017
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013 & 2014
Recognized as a New York Metro Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters), 2006-2016
Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Corporate Counsel, 2008-2016
Recognized as a "Best Lawyer" in Corporate Counsel's Annual Guide to Intellectual Property, 2011
Named one of the "Best Lawyers in New York" by New York Magazine, 2006-2015
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
New York Law Journal
New York Law Journal
New York Law Journal