Joseph Perry's practice focuses on representing companies and individuals in white collar criminal defense, regulatory enforcement, internal investigations and complex civil matters. He counsels clients in large-scale federal and state criminal investigations as well as advises clients on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other regulatory matters involving the SEC, CFTC and federal and state regulators. Mr. Perry has both meaningful trial and appellate experience in both federal and state courts.
Prior to joining Baker Botts, Mr. Perry clerked for the Honorable Carmen Beauchamp Ciparick, Senior Associate Judge of the New York State Court of Appeals. Joseph advised Judge Ciparick on a variety of complex civil and criminal matters and assisted in the drafting of judicial opinions. Mr. Perry began his legal career as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s Office. During his tenure as a prosecutor, he tried numerous cases to verdict and conducted numerous pre-trial hearings and grand jury investigations. Mr. Perry drafted appellate briefs involving Fourth Amendment and improper jury instruction claims and favorably argued an appeal before the Appellate Division, First Department.
Mr. Perry maintains an active pro bono practice. Most recently, he has represented individuals in immigration matters before the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR). He is currently assisting two high school-aged immigrants from Honduras to secure work visas following a decision by the EOIR to terminate removal proceedings. Mr. Perry has also assisted a Haitian immigrant secure permanent residence status in the United States under a special program for victims of domestic violence. In addition to his pro bono activities, Mr. Perry makes significant contributions to the firm. He is a member of the firm’s hiring committee and co-head of the firm’s associate liaison committee, which regularly meets with management to discuss firm-related issues. Mr. Perry is called upon to mentor junior associates and is actively involved in the firm’s summer associate program.
Outside the firm, Mr. Perry volunteers his time with various organizations, including Georgetown University’s undergraduate alumni interviewing program. Mr. Perry heads one of the regional chapters in the area, supervising over 50 local interviewers each year. Mr. Perry sponsors a Honduran child through Children International and is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Represents individuals in connection with a coordinated investigation by the NY Attorney General’s Office and CFTC into alleged market manipulation in the sale of Emerging Market Foreign Exchange Options.
- Represents U.S. company in connection with an internal investigation related to alleged bribery payments made by joint venture partner in India in violation of the FCPA.
- Represents individual in connection with SEC investigation concerning alleged pump-and-dump scheme in violation of the anti-fraud provisions of the federal securities laws.
- Represents individual in connection with SEC investigation concerning alleged violation of an officer and director bar.
- Represents NYSE equity and options markets in ongoing challenges to the pricing of their market data fees before the SEC.
- Represents individual in connection with SDNY investigation concerning alleged public corruption by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s former top aides.
- Represents individual working as a crane oiler on a crane which collapsed at a construction site in Lower Manhattan in connection with investigation by the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, the NYC Department of Investigation and NYC Department of Buildings.
- Represented major investment company in connection with an SEC investigation concerning proper disclosure of compensation structure. Convinced the Staff to close the investigation without recommending an enforcement action.
- Represented Collado Industries, a subsidiary of Mexico’s largest steel conglomerate, Grupo Collado, in a breach of contract action commenced by RCJV Holdings, Inc., an affiliate of the private equity owned U.S. steel service giant Ryerson Industries, in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented individual in high profile trial in NY State Supreme Court, resulting in a full acquittal of all charges.
- Represented former auditor of Bernard L. Madoff Securities in connection with the government’s prosecution of the largest Ponzi scheme in history.
- Represents high-school aged immigrants from Honduras in connection with removal proceedings before the Executive Office for Immigration Review; secured termination of removal proceedings and assist clients with work visa applications.
- Represented immigrant from Haiti and assisted her in securing permanent residence status in the U.S. under a special program for victims of domestic violence.
Awards & Community
Recognized as a New York Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2014 - 2016
Baker Botts Client Update
Baker Botts Client Update
Supreme Court Finds SEC ALJs are Inferior Officers Subject to the Requirements of the Appointments ClauseFirm Thought Leadership
Securities Litigation Client Update
On Wednesday, February 13, Andy Lankler, Joe Perry, and Jessica Rosenbaum will lead the CLE program, "Why is Your Bank Asking So Many Questions? An Overview of Money Laundering & FINCEN Regulations." In collaboration with the New York In-House Counsel Meet-up Group.